CSUF Basketball starts non-conference games next week

CSUF men's basketball head coach Dedrique Taylor during a game at Titan Gym during the 2019-2020 season. (Omar Sanchez / Daily Titan)

With the college basketball season just one week away, Cal State Fullerton men’s and women’s basketball teams announced they will be playing on the first day of the regular season. 

On Nov. 25 the women’s team will play at UCLA while the men’s squad will be playing against the University of San Diego. 

The men’s team, which is led by head coach Dedrique Taylor, will play San Diego at the Alaska Airlines Arena in Seattle, as it is part of the Husky Classic hosted by Washington.

The four-team event will have each team play each other over four days. On Nov. 27, CSUF will play against Portland State and end by playing Washington the following day. 

The women’s team will open its season at Pauley Pavilion against the UCLA Bruins, which starts the season ranked at No. 9 in the AP Poll. A week later, head coach Jeff Harada’s squad will host its home opener against the University of Nevada, Las Vegas and on Dec. 8 will host the University of San Diego.

The three non-conference games scheduled for each team are the only games scheduled before CSUF begins conference play. The men’s team opens up conference play with its home opener on Dec. 27 against Cal State Northridge. 

Although the women’s team was scheduled to play at CSUN on the same day, CSUN  announced last Thursday that its team wouldn’t be playing this season due to COVID-19 opt-outs. Instead, CSUF will play its conference opener on New Year’s Day at home against UC Santa Barbara. 

It is unclear if there will be any more non-conference games for both teams before Big West play starts, as they will announce any new non-conference games they agreed upon with other  schools.

Next Wednesday will be the first CSUF athletic event to be held since March 11. The women’s team ended last season losing in the Big West Tournament quarterfinals against Hawaii, while the men’s basketball team last played on March 7 in its regular season finale win against Long Beach State. The men’s team was scheduled to play against CSUN in the first round of the Big West Tournament before it was canceled.

The first game for the men’s team which is against San Diego is set to tip off at 3 p.m. PST, while the women’s game time against UCLA has not yet been announced.