Softball v. Boise St.

Daisy Munoz batted 1-3 with 2 RBIs against Boise State on Feb. 28 at Anderson Family Field. (CSUF Athletics)

Cal State Fullerton wrapped up its three-game home series against Boise State on Sunday with a final score of 4-1, and completed the sweep against the Broncos at Anderson Family Field. The Titans were quick to put themselves in the lead as they racked up three runs within the first inning.

The game had to be streamed by audio instead of its normal broadcast live stream because the power was inconsistent at the stadium due to the heavy Santa Ana winds. Nonetheless, the game continued as scheduled and Fullerton started off strong with three runs in the bottom of the first inning.

Center fielder Megan Delgadillo led off with a walk before she stole second while on the base path. She was brought home by designated hitter Irie Siofele with a single, which moved third baseman Hannah Becerra into scoring position at third base. First baseman Daisy Munoz followed up with a two-RBI single to clear the bases before she was tagged out on the play at second base.

The next five innings remained scoreless and proved to be a pitchers duel between Fullerton’s Dani Martinez and Boise’s Kiele Miller.  

While earning her first win of the season, Martinez gave up one hit and one walk en route which kept Boise State scoreless through five innings. Her counterpart Miller, although was able to cover from her three-run first inning, earned the loss and gave up seven hits, four runs and two walks. 

It wasn’t until the sixth inning when second baseman KK Humphreys hit a homerun to left field, her third homer of the season, to put the Titans up 4-0 as they went into the seventh inning. 

Humphreys in three at-bats was able to get one run and two hits along with an RBI while striking out once.

Despite the deficit, the Broncos put up a fight in the seventh inning, as they loaded the bases on Titan pitcher Staci Chambers. With two outs, a single by Boise State’s Ashlyn Adams put one run on the board for the Broncos, but the bases remained loaded. Chambers managed to get out of the jam, and forced the next runner to ground out and clinch the sweep. 

In Fullerton’s prior two games against Boise State on Saturday, the Titans took both games of the double header by scores of 2-0 in the first game and 3-2 in the second match up.

In game one, Humphries and shortstop Peyton Toto brought in the pair of runs, and earned an RBI each. Sophie Frost pitched a gem on her way to a complete game shutout, and gave up only three hits and four walks while she recorded four strikeouts in her win. 

Game two, the Titans broke the scoreless tie in the third inning, before they extended the lead, 3-0, with two runs in the fourth inning. The Broncos responded in the top fifth with a pair of runs that shrunk the deficit, but their efforts were not enough as CSUF pitcher Ellie Zellien was able to complete the save, her first for the season.

Savannah Serrata earned the win for the Titans, as she pitched 4.1 innings and gave two runs on four hits and two walks. 

The Titans record stands at 9-7 and their next game will be played at UCLA on Wednesday at 2 p.m. against the Bruins.