CSUF vs OSU

Sophomore Daisy Munoz sets up at first base against Oregon State on Feb. 13 at Anderson Family Field. (CSUF Athletics)

Cal State Fullerton softball hosted the two-day Easton Invitational tournament Feb. 12-13 and finished with a 2-2 record. 

While the Titans were victorious against the Utah State Aggies on Friday and Saturday of the tournament, they fell short against the Oregon State Beavers. 

The Titans’ first double-header on Friday started with game one against the Beavers with game two following immediately after against the Aggies. 

Bringing the heat, the Titans opened game one with a three-run first inning, as Julia Valenzuela hit a two-RBI single. The Beavers scored in the third inning, but the Titans came right back with a run in the fourth inning to make the score 4-1. 

CSUF was ahead at the top of the fifth, when Oregon scored with a two-run home run. The Titans were in the lead, 4-3, and kept steady through the fifth and sixth innings. 

Fullerton gave up two runs in the top of the seventh inning, giving the Beavers a 5-4  lead. Fullerton was unable to recover, and lost the first game of the invitational against Oregon. 

Bouncing right back, the Titans opened game two against the Aggies with leadoff hitter Megan Delgadillo who hit a single and stole second, followed by Bailey Wallace hitting a single. Fullerton had the bases loaded after Daisy Munoz was walked and had the bases loaded, which allowed Irie Siofele to bring in Delgadillo for an RBI.

Utah State came back with a three-run home run in the third inning followed by a solo home run to take the lead, 4-1. The Titans however followed in the bottom of the third with three runs, to tie the game. 

CSUF scored in the fifth inning, putting the Titans in the lead. CSUF’s Staci Chambers closed out the game with 4.2 scoreless and hitless innings in her collegiate debut, bringing the team to victory to complete day one of the Easton Invitational. 

“This gives me a lot more confidence, honestly. It reminded me today that it’s just the same game that I’ve been playing for years,” Chamberlain said.

Opening day two of the tournament, the Titans and Aggies were set to battle it out for game three. The first inning neither team was able to score, but the  Aggies gained the lead during the second inning and scored the first run of the game.

The Aggies stayed in the lead through the next two innings, until the bottom of the fourth when Siofele hit a double to leadoff. She stole third, with Jessi Alcala's single hit bringing Siofele home, which tied the score.

At the top of the fifth, the Aggies scored by an RBI single. This didn’t stop  the Titans as they scored three-runs in the bottom of the fifth, gaining the lead off of freshman KK Humphreys’ first-career home run. Hannah Becerra, also a freshman, hit her first-career home run, and closed the inning with a 4-2 Titan lead. 

Utah State scored at the top of the seventh inning, but Savannah Serrata held it down to secure her first collegiate win, with the final score of 4-3. 

In the final game of the tournament, the Titans did not prevail against the Beavers as they failed to register a single run in their 11-0 defeat. 

After starting with a 3-0 lead, Oregon had the bases loaded when they hit a grand slam home run, making the score 7-0.

At the top of the fourth, the Aggies’ scored a three-run homerun and extended their lead, 10-0. 

Fullerton could not come back from their large deficit after the Aggies scored again at the top of the fifth, ending the game with a 11-0 score due to the mercy rule.

The Titans will head to Tempe, Arizona to play against Arizona State on Tuesday with games at 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.