Matt Brown 2

(Courtesy of Matt Brown)

The CSUF tennis team took the road this weekend to split their two conference matches against Cal Poly San Luis Obispo and UC Santa Barbara to move them to second place in the Big West Conference behind UCSB with a 5-2 conference record.

The Titans opened up the weekend by defeating Cal Poly San Luis Obispo 4-0 on Saturday to hand the Mustangs their third straight loss this year.

The win was the second straight time that CSUF shutout their opponent, and the third time in four matchups doing so. In total, the Titans have blanked their opponents six times this year.

The day started off with the Titan duo of Sarah Nuno and Karla Portalatin defeating Emily Ackerman and Emily Louie-Meadors 6-1.

However, the Mustangs responded with a doubles victory of their own, with Grace Olyphant and Susanne Boyden defeating Masako Makiba and Caisey Lee Emery 7-5. The win for the Cal Poly SLO pair gave them a team-best 7-3 record on the year.

With the first two matches split, the Titans and Mustangs would send it to an all-deciding third doubles match to determine the first point of the day.

CSUF emerged as the victor of the final doubles match, with Jadie Acidera and Genevieve Zeidan narrowly defeating MacKenzie Worsnop and Caroline Williams 7-6.

In the singles portion of the day, Zeidan defeated Worsnop, 6-1, 6-0, to get the Titans their second point of the day.

Luxizi Meng would follow Zeidan by beating Olyphant, 6-1,6-2, to make it 3-0 CSUF.

The clinching point of the day came when Nuno defeated Boyden, 7-5, 6-2, to give the Titans the victory.

Two matches were suspended as a result of CSUF securing the win, with Portalatin up on Louie-Meadors, 7-6, 3-4, and Eira Tobrand winning, 6-4, 5-4 on Ackerman.

Cal State Fullerton dropped their second match of the road trip, losing to the UCSB 5-2, marking the 28th consecutive time that the Titans have fallen to the Gauchos.

The Titans will conclude their regular season Saturday when they host UC Riverside, which is slated to begin at 11 a.m. at the Titan Tennis Complex. The match-up with the Highlanders could be the final home game for four Titans.

CSUF will then head to Indian Wells, California the following week for the four-day-long Big West Championships.

Adam Maldonado contributed to this article.