WomensGolf_Courtesyphoto (1 of 1)

(Courtesy of John Fajardo)

The CSUF women’s golf team opened up the first day of the Big West Tournament at the Moorpark Country Club Monday afternoon at the top of the leaderboard, as they are tied for first after one round of play.

The Titans share the lead with defending champion, Long Beach State, at 7-over-par 295. Not far behind Fullerton and Long Beach is Cal State Northridge, currently at 8-over-par 296. Top-seeded UC Davis rounds out the top half of the standings, finishing the first round at 17-over- par 305.

Individually, CSUN junior Brianna Steger leads the field, sitting at 3-under-par 69. Steger had a strong front-nine in Moorpark, birding three of the first seven holes, and is the only player who finished under par after 18 holes.

Senior Texie Petchel leads a Titan squad that has all of their golfers in the top 15, with four of them in the top eight. Petchel currently is tied for second at even-par 72.

After opening the day with a birdie and a bogey through the first five holes, the UNLV transfer’s highlight of the day came on par three, 165-yard sixth hole, where Petchel sunk in a hole-in-one to get her back under par. Petchel remained in contention for the top spot in the field for much of the day until the 17th hole, where she triple bogeyed on 146-yard par three.

Right behind Petchel in the standings is senior Felicia Medalla at 1-over par 73. The Filipino shot 2-over-par 38 on the front nine, but got her first birdie of the day on the 14th hole. Despite a bogey at the following hole, Medalla secured her tie for sixth place with a birdie on the 17th.

In a tie for eighth place are Elsa Lundquist and Lisa Djerf at 3-over-par 75. Djerf, Big West golfer for last month, had a difficult first nine holes, going into the second half of the course 5-over-par 41. The Swede climbed back into the leaderboards, hitting three birdies on the back nine to climb back into the top ten.

Courtney Sharkey rounded out the Titan squad tied for 13th at 4-over-par 76.

The second round of the tournament will continue Tuesday morning at 7:30 a.m. The Titans will take the course along with Long Beach and CSUN at 9:10 a.m., and the event will be live streamed on Golfstat.