Matt Brown copy

Sophomore Caisey Lee Emery won both her singles and doubles matches against UC Irvine. (Courtesy of Matt Brown)

After their three-game win streak was snapped at No. 11 USC, the CSUF women’s tennis team got back in the win column, defeating UC Irvine 4-0 Saturday at the Anteater Tennis Stadium.

The win moved the Titans to 12-4 on the year and 4-1 in the Big West. With the win, CSUF is now in first place in the conference. The win was also CSUF’s first conference win since their three-game Big West win streak ended on March 16 to Cal State Northridge.

The shutout victory was the second in the Titans’ last three games and their fifth on the year.

The matchup began with Karla Portalatin and Sarah Nuno winning their doubles match against Stephanie Hazell and Flora Amiri, 6-1. The duo’s win was their ninth on the season, which is a team high for doubles.

The Titans clinched the first point of the day with the team of Caisey Lee Emery and Masako Makiba winning the second doubles match, 6-2, over Jessica Tsukiji and Danielle Garrido. On the year, the Titan duo is now 8-6.

The Titans secured the first singles point of the day, with sophomore Jadie Acidera defeating UCI’s Arianna Tilbury 6-2, 6-0. The win gave Acidera a 16-4 record for the season, tying her for first on the team in wins with Lee and Eira Tobrand. The victory was Acidera’s 11th straight win and put her at 9-0 when playing on court six.

Sophomore Genevieve Zeidan followed by defeating Amiri 6-4, 6-2. The Taiwan native is now 6-0 on court three, and the win was her fourth straight.

The clinching point for Fullerton came on court two when Nuno defeated Stephanie Nguyen 6-2, 6-2. The win put Nuno at 10-6 on the year after her three-match win streak was broken last week at USC.

Three matches were suspended with CSUF securing the victory, with Portalatin, Emery, and Luxizi Meng all in the second set of their matches. Both Portalatin and Emery lost the first set of their match-up, while Meng won the first set against Alyssia Fossorier.

Fullerton will play the final two games of their six-game road trip this weekend, as they will visit Cal Poly San Luis Obispo on Saturday at 1:30 p.m. before facing off against UC Santa Barbara, who is second in the Big West, on Sunday at 10 a.m.