CSUF at Wyoming Cowgirl Classic

Cal State Fullerton's Brittany Shin took first place at the Wyoming Cowgirl Golf Classic on April 6, earning her second individual title. (CSUF Athletics)

Cal State Fullerton’s Brittany Shin won her third individual title as she took home the Wyoming Cowgirl Classic victory and placed first out of 114 golfers, and scored 5-under-par 211.

The Wyoming Classic invitational spanned from Monday and Tuesday in Maricopa, Arizona at the Ak-Chin Southern Dunes Golf Club. However, the 95 degree Fahrenheit heat with little to no wind didn’t seem to bother Shin’s play. She played well in all three rounds, and shot 5-under-par 67 in round one, 1-under-par 71 in round two and 1-over-par 73 in the final round.

Shin has previously finished first in her collegiate career — in The Valley Invitational in February and in the UNF Collegiate in March 2020 before all sports were suspended due to COVID-19.

The sophomore shot a total of 11 birdies throughout the tournament, and played especially well on the courses’ par 4s and par 5s. On par-5 holes, Shin’s average score was 4.58, equivalent to -5. 

Second place for individuals went to Grand Canyon’s Tagiralani Luafalealo, who was two strokes behind Shin with a total score of 3-under-par 213. Hawaii’s Hana Mirnik and Southern Utah’s Chanikan (Pluem) Yongyuan tied for third place. 

While CSUF’s women’s golf went into day two of the tournament tied for 12th at 32-over-par 608, they ultimately placed 13th, and finished 23-over-par 919 in the 20-team tournament. New Mexico State finished in first place and shot 5-over-par 869 overall and put a seven-stroke distance between them and second place South Dakota State. 

Besides Shin, CSUF brought five other players: Haruka Koda, Brittany Shin, Lisa Djerf, Kayle Hunn and Sara Camarena to compete as a team and Sofia Legaspi took on the role as an individual golfer in the tournament. 

Djerf and Hunn played well on the first day of the tournament with Djerf tying for 60th with a score of 9-over par 153. Not far behind, Hunn tied for 77th and shot12-over par 156. The third and final round brought struggles for both Djerf and Hunn as they were bumped down to a tie for 83rd and a tie for 92nd, respectively. 

On day two, Camarana came in second within the team, and tied for 80th place in the overall tournament with Seattle’s Krystal Hu. They shot 20-over-par 236. 

On April 12-13, the Titans will return to tee off at the Fresno State Classic before the Big West Conference Championships commence on April 19.