Eira Tobrand

Sweden native Eira Tobrand participated in the Tennis with the Titans fundraiser on Oct. 30. (CSUF Athletics)

Cal State Fullerton women’s tennis returned home following the final tournament of the fall portion of the season at the CSUN Matador Invitational. The Titans competed in both singles and doubles matches at the CSUN Matador Invitational held from Nov. 12-14 in Northridge.

The first day of competition did not go as hoped for the Titans, with three of the four players losing their opening matches of the weekend on Friday. Indya Nespor was the only CSUF athlete to earn a victory in her opening match, beating Sacramento State University’s Megan Tagaloa (7-5, 6-3).

Juliette Daries fell short to Brigham Young University’s Wing Ka Lin (6-3, 6-4). Camila Garcia lost to University of New Mexico’s Satoho Toriumi 5-2, 7-6[3] and Mariia Nikitash was unable to defeat University of Portland’s Rimona Rouf 6-4, 6-7(1), 7-6(5).

Saturday was more successful for the team. Nespor moved one match closer to the championship by defeating UC Irvine’s Emily Fowler (6-2, 6-4) in the second round. She eventually fell to Utah State University’s Annaliese County (6-4, 7-6[4]) in the semifinal of single’s flight C.

Both Juliette Daries and Camila Garcia lost their first consolation matches on Saturday morning, but came back during their respective back draw matches later in the day.

Sacramento State University’s Madelyn Ferreros beat Daries in the first match of the day. Daries came back to win one match in the back draw against Fresno State University’s Ella Husrefovic.

Garcia fell to Youngstown State University’s Elisa Rigazio (6-3, 6-4) in her first match on Saturday morning. She went on to win the first match back draw of the back-draw for singles C against University of Portland’s Marija Elenova.

Nikitash bounced back from her first match loss to win two consolation matches in a row. She defeated Youngstown State University’s Lili Minich in her first match and later went on to win against Cal State Los Angeles’ Sarah Olmos, to move to the final round of consolation matches.

Sunday, the last day of competition, is when Fullerton reached its stride. All but one athlete won their respective last match of the invitational.

In Daries’ final match she defeated Utah State University's Zeynep Ozturk 6-2, 6-2 to win the consolation back draw for singles B. Garcia also won her last match against Sacramento State University's Weronika Ejsmont 6-1, 6-4, which made her the winner of the back draw in singles C.

Nikitash defeated Youngstown State University’s Elisa Rigazion 6-4, 6-1 in the final match to become the consolation champ for singles flight C.

Nespor failed to find her stride on Sunday morning and lost her match to Youngstown State University’s Jessica Stanmore 6-3, 7-6(4).

The only doubles team from CSUF, Darries and Nespor, had a good showing in their opening match on Friday. They defeated Utah State University’s County and Dekkers 6-2, and moved onto the second match.

Darries and Nespor fell to Youngstown State University’s Stanmore and Minich 6-3. On Saturday, they fell to University of New Mexico’s Kageyama and Toriumi in the back draw match 6-1.

Extra matches were also played at the CSUN Matador Invitational where Nikitash defeated Brigham Young University’s Jacque Dunyon 6-3.

CSUF women’s tennis will return to competition in January 2022. The team will host the CSUF Spring Invite from Jan. 21-23.