Crawford sports fall roundup

Sophomore outside hitter Julia Crawford, seen here spiking the ball against CSUN on Oct. 8 earned a Big West Honorable Mention accolade after leading the Titans with 354.5 points this season. (Marisa Palmerin-Flores / Daily Titan)

Here is a wrap up of the sports that have taken place and ones that are currently still taking place.

Women's Volleyball

Cal State Fullerton women’s volleyball posted a 12-15 overall record and 9-11 in conference play. Those nine conference wins were the most that the Titans have had since 2012.

Sophomore outside hitter Julia Crawford finished the season with a team-leading 354.5 points. Following Crawford in scoring was junior right side hitter Gabrielle Barcelos who scored 242.5 points.

Crawford also earned a Big West honorable mention alongside teammate and setter Elizabeth Schuster. Schuster earned the honorable mention due to her spectacular setting, particularly for Crawford’s attacks.

Women's Tennis

Women’s tennis just started their 2021-22 season, but the Titans have played in three tournaments and a fundraising event thus far.

The Titans started off with the Long Beach State Invite where Kaytlin Taylor and Juliette Daries earned a doubles win in a flight C winners bracket. The Titans went to San Diego for the ITA Regionals in October where they struggled against their opponents and faced bad weather.

Students can see the women’s tennis team in action next at the CSUF Spring Invite, Jan. 21-23 on campus. Conference play for the team will start on Feb. 12 when the team faces UC Riverside.

Women's Soccer

Women’s soccer finished the 2021 season with an even 10-10 record and 7-3 in conference play.

The season started slow for the Titans as they were 0-6 before they earned their first win. They eventually changed course and went on a six-game winning streak to end the regular season.

Fullerton’s season ended with a 2-0 loss against Cal Poly San Luis Obispo in the Big West Tournament.

Senior Callie Petrey-Juarez led the team in scoring with eight goals this season. Senior Haley Brown followed up Petrey-Juarez with six goals In the 10 conference games, both Petrey-Juarez and Brown scored four goals each.

Women’s Golf

For the fall portion of their schedule, women’s golf played in a total of four tournaments.

The season opening tournament, the Jackrabbit Intercollegiate, was the highlight for the women’s golf team this fall.

Junior Elina Saksa finished the tournament with an individual first place finish for the first time in her career, while the team came in third place.

CSUF placed 20th at the Golfweek Conference Challenge in Wolcott, Colorado, tied for ninth at the Jack Lesser-Harbottle Invitational in Lakewood, Washington, and fifth at the Rainbow Wahine Invitational in Kapolei, Hawai’i.

Women's Basketball

So far this season, the women’s basketball team has a 5-4 record with a 4-1 home record. Fullerton has 21 more games left this season, but with 11 scheduled to be played at home.

Freshman guard Lily Wahinekapu has led the team in points so far this season, averaging 13.6 points per game. Sophomore center Ashlee Lewis is second in scoring with 102 points and averaging 11.3 points per game.

Following Wahinekapu and Lewis is junior guard Fujika Nimmo who has scored 96 points overall and is averaging 10.7 points per game.

Men’s Soccer

CSUF men’s soccer ended their season with a 3-11-3 overall record while going 1-7-1 in the conference.

Sophomore midfielder Sebastian Cruz led the team in scoring and assists with seven goals and three assists on the season. His performance earned him a Big West honorable mention as he finished third in scoring in the conference.

The only other Titan player to score more than one goal this season was sophomore forward Samuel Owusu with five goals.

Men’s Golf

Men’s golf played in four tournaments for the fall portion of their schedule.

The Titans started off slow with a twelfth place finish at the Ram Masters Invitational in Fort Collins, Colorado. The Titans then had their best performance of the fall at the Nick Watney Invitational in Fresno, California, where they took first place.

The Titans then placed third at the Bill Cullum Invitational in Valencia, California, and finished the fall with a sixth-place finish at the Hoakalei Country Club Invitational in Ewa Beach, Hawai'i.

Students can see the men’s golf team in action next on Feb. 7 and 8 at the Orange County Collegiate Classic in Coto De Caza, California.

Men's Basketball

Men’s basketball has a 5-5 overall record this season while scoring close to 70 points per game. There is still time to turn things around, however, as the Titans have 21 games left in the season; 20 of those games will be in conference play.

Senior forward E.J. Anosike leads the team in scoring with 17.2 points per game as well as rebounds with nearly eight rebounds per game. Anosike also leads the starting lineup in field goal percentage at nearly 56%.

Senior guard Tray Maddox Jr. is close behind Anosike in points per game with 10.4 points. Maddox Jr. also leads the team in assists per game with 2.4 per game.

Cross Country

Men’s cross country started the fall season off strong with a first -place finish at the Mark Covert Classic, with redshirt senior Sam Ayala and sophomore Alexis Garcia coming in second and third individually.

Women’s cross country placed first with senior Trinity Ruelas coming in first and sophomore McKaylie Caesar coming in second individually, followed by junior Dana McGrath coming in eighth.

The men’s team placed second at the Highlander Classic in October, then third as a team in the Big West Cross Country championships. Individually, Sam Ayala placed first and Alexis Garcia placed fourth.

The women’s team struggled as well with a few tournaments, but placed first in the Highlander Invitational for the 6K race, second in the Titan Invitational and second in the Big West Cross Country championships. In the Big West Cross Country championships, Ruelas placed first with McGrath in eighth and Caesar in 11th.