volleyball vs Hawai'i 09.30.2022

Outside hitter Lyla Traylor recorded nine kills against Hawai'i. (Navtej Hundal / Daily Titan)

After beating Long Beach State in their conference home opener, the Cal State Fullerton women’s volleyball team were swept by the University of Hawai‘i, 3-0, Friday night at Titan Gym, handing the Titans their first home loss of the season.

The Titans are now 8-4 overall and fifth place in the Big West standings with a 2-2 record in conference play. Prior to the matchup, the Titans were previously 3-0 at home.

“It’s ups and downs. You win some, you lose some. They’re a good team. They came prepared as they should. The best thing about it is we have next week. We get to come back, we get to practice next week, and we get to play again,” said head coach Nicole Polster.

Hawai‘i displayed why they stand at the top of the Big West Standings with a dominant performance in a playoff atmosphere.

The intensity of the match was felt throughout the arena since the first point was scored. Loud uproars came from both fan bases, as Hawai‘i also had a large traveling crowd that packed Titan Gym.

Outside hitter Lyla Traylor led the Titans with nine kills, followed by outside hitter Danielle Jefferies with eight. Setter Elizabeth Schuster led the team in assists with 24 and digs with 11.

However, Hawai‘i’s middle blocker Amber Igied proved to be the winning factor with 14 kills of her own followed by outside hitters Riley Wagoner and Caylen Alexander serving up 10 kills each. Setter Kate Lang facilitated a game-high 30 assists and nine digs.

Hawai‘i dominated the Titans from the start as they won two out the three sets by double-digits, with the closest set being the first where they won by five points.

The first set was constant back and forth action between the two teams, with a combined 33 kills. Hawai‘i’s Igiede led her team to a first set victory, having an impressive eight kills in the first set. Alexander delivered the final two kills to lift Hawai‘i to a 25-20 win in the opening set.

Outside hitter Julia Crawford opened the second set with a kill to spark a change of pace for the Titans.

However, it was not long before Hawai‘i started to apply constant pressure towards the Titans who found themselves facing a 24-12 deficit in large part to Hawai‘i’s Wagoner’s six kills in the set. Ultimately, Hawai‘i won the set, 25-15, after Crawford’s attack was hit out of bounds.

The Titans wound up starting the third set from behind once more, as they trailed 7-4 early. Their deficit only grew larger, as Hawai‘i went on a 14-4 scoring run to bring the score to 21-8. 

The visiting crowd stood up and clapped in unison before Hawai‘i sealed the match with a service ace by middle blocker Kennedi Evans.

Hawai‘i proved themselves as a powerhouse in the Big West and unveiled why they remain undefeated in conference play.

Going forward, Traylor emphasized that the team needs to focus on being consistent on both sides of the ball. 

CSUF will return to action against Cal State Northridge Friday at 7 p.m in the Titan Gym.