baseball brief 4/18

Jackson Lyon heads to home plate against UC Davis at Goodwin Field on April 16. (Daniela Navarro / Daily Titan)

Cal State Fullerton’s junior outfielder Jackson Lyon was named the Big West Conference’s field player of the week on April 18. This is the first time that Lyon and CSUF received the honor this season. He became the first CSUF fielder to earn the award since junior infielder Zach Lew in the 2020 season.

The Titans’ recent three game series against UC Davis from April 14-16 was a major factor in Lyon being named by the Big West. Out of eight hits, he scored five runs through the weekend.

The Irvine native’s most notable play of the series was in the second game on April 15, when he hit the game-clinching walk-off in the ninth inning against Davis to win, 4-3.

The following day, he scored three runs, two RBIs and a walk on four hits in the Titans’ 11-7 win, completing the series sweep against Davis. This ties his best outing in the season as Lyon also brought in three runs on four hits against Cal State Bakersfield on April 3.

Starting out in the 2018-19 season, Lyon’s career has seen improvements across multiple areas. This season he has proven himself to be the team’s top performer, leading the Titans with a .387 batting average, a on-base percentage of .456, and .595 slugging percentage. He currently has the second most runs with 23, just six behind sophomore outfielder Caden Connor.

The Titans will face the USC Trojans on April 19 at Goodwin Field. First pitch will start at 6 p.m.