Men's Golf at Sac State Inv.

CSUF golfer Trevor McNary shot 16-over-par 232 at the Sacramento State Invitational on March 1-2 at Valley Hi Country Club in Elk Grove, CA. (CSUF Athletics)

Cal State Fullerton men’s golf finished in ninth place at the Sacramento State Invitational on Tuesday with an overall score of 14-over-par 878, despite being within reach of a top-five position heading into the final day of the tournament.  

Loyola Marymount University won The Joust Invitational last week and finished in first place again with an overall score of 24-under-par 840. The Lions also had the top finisher on the individual leaderboard as Riley Lewis scored an 11-under-par 205 overall.

CSUF sent Garret Boe, Harry Doig, Matt Rafter, Trevor McNary and Tegan Andrews, the same six players from the week before, to compete as a team while Jack Smyth took part in the 15-team tournament as an individual. 

The Titans entered day two of the tournament in ninth place, where they would ultimately finish. Fullerton was within five strokes of the five teams that were ahead on the leaderboard. 

Fullerton was unable to recover, but the team still finished with four more strokes than Oakland, which finished in fifth place, 10-over-par 874.

Boe led the way for CSUF on the individual leaderboard as he finished tied for 16th with a par 216 score after three rounds. In the opening round, he had three birdies but added six bogeys to go along with it as he finished 3-over-par 75. In round two he had three birdies to go with four bogeys and scored 1-over-par 73. Boe saved his best round of the tournament for last as he shot 4-under-par 68 with four birdies to just one bogey.

Andrews and Doig were not far behind in scores however, they both finished tied for 30th with an overall score of 3-over-par 219. 

Doig started the opening round with a 1-under-par 71 and accounted for Fullerton’s only eagle to go with four birdies, three bogeys and one double bogey.  In round two Doig had one birdie and two bogeys as he finished 1-over-par 73 before he ended the tournament with a 3-over-par 75 score in the final round where he had three birdies, four bogeys and one double-bogey.

Andrews finished with an opening-round score of 1-over-par 73 as he had two birdies and three bogeys. Andrews then responded with a par 72 in the second round along with three birdies, a bogey and a double-bogey. He finished the third round with a 2-over-par 74 finish where he had three birdies, three bogeys and a double-bogey. 

Smyth tied for 50th place while he added four strokes more than Doig and Andrews as he had a 7-over-par 223 overall score. In the first round, Smyth had a 3-over-par 75 score, with three birdies to go along with four bogeys and one double-bogey. Smyth had a 7-over-par 79 finish in round two where he had nine bogeys and two birdies before he bounced back in the final round where he scored 3-under-par 69 and had six birdies compared to three bogeys.

Rafter finished tied for 63rd with an overall score of 10-over-par 226, while McNary finished in 79th place with an overall score of 16-over-par 232.

The Titans will have nearly two weeks between the next match as the team will head to the Grand Canyon University Invitational at the GCU golf course in Phoenix, Arizona onMarch 14 through 16.