men's b ball brief

Damari Milstead directs a play on offense against George Washington University during CSUF's 74-59 victory on Nov. 16 in Titan Gym. (Eliza Green / Daily Titan)

The Cal State Fullerton men's basketball team will look to defend the Titan, on Dec. 11, against Life Pacific University.

As of Dec. 8, the Titans will enter Saturday’s matchup with a 4-4 record, which ranks the team at sixth place in the Big West conference. This is coming off a road game where the Titans were big 12.5-point underdogs against the San Diego State Aztecs on Wednesday.

The Titans recently defeated the University of Pacific, 66-57, on Nov. 4. Senior guard Tray Maddox Jr. led the way for Fullerton with 21 points on nearly 54% shooting, including five three-pointers.

The efficiency was a good sign for Tray Maddox Jr., who was struggling from the field prior to the game against Pacific. Tray Maddox Jr. is now shooting 39% from the field and close to 29% from three on over 10 points per game. Tray Maddox Jr. also leads the team with over two assists per game.

Senior forward E.J. Anosike is having a fantastic season. He is leading the Titans in scoring and rebounding with nearly 18 points and eight boards per game. He is shooting above 54% from the field and over 76% at the free throw line. His scoring and field goal percentage are both good for second in the Big West. Anosike also currently leads the Big West in rebounding.

Sophomore guard Dante Maddox Jr. is the third player on the team, averaging 10 points per game.

Senior guard Damari Milstead is setting the tone defensively with nearly two steals per game, which currently ranks him third in the conference for number of steals. Although he has only appeared in half of CSUF’s games, senior forward Ibrahim Famouke Doumbia is the team’s best rim protector with one block per game.

The team’s biggest weakness thus far has been scoring from the three-point line, where they are only shooting 29%. Senior guard Jalen Harris is the only player on the team shooting over 35% from the three-point line, hitting 50% of his attempts.

In the conference, CSUF ranks eighth in scoring and points allowed with 69 points scored while allowing teams to score close to 68 points. They also ranked eighth in margin of victory with a two-point margin.

The Life Pacific Warriors enter Saturday’s game with a record of 3-7. The team snapped their six-game losing streak on Tuesday with a narrow one-point win over the University of Saint Katherine.

The Titans will look to get back on track against the lower-ranked Warriors on Dec. 11 at 6 p.m. inside Titan Gym.