Addressing Mental Health Awareness among athletes

CSUF men's basketball team huddles during a timeout at Titan Gym during the 2019-2020 season. (Omar Sanchez / Daily Titan)

Cal State Fullerton men’s basketball will have to wait to begin its season after a player tested positive for COVID-19, according to Titan Athletics.

The athletic department announced that only one player tested positive on Friday afternoon. The team had been tested three times a week. 

Per the NCAA’s virus protocols, athletes who test positive for COVID-19 must self-isolate for 10 days, while the rest of the team must quarantine for 14, which would prevent the team from resuming on-campus activities until Dec 4. 

The news comes five days before the team was scheduled to play the regular season opener in the Husky Classic in Seattle. The Titans were scheduled to play the University of San Diego on Wednesday, followed by Portland State on Friday and Washington on Saturday. 

Athletic director Jim Donovan released a statement expressing disappointment in the team having to cancel its first three games.

“Obviously, We are very disappointed to have to withdraw from the Husky Classic, but the safety and well-being of those surrounding our program needs to be top priority,” Donovan said in the statement. 

The university did not release which athlete tested positive for the virus, but this marks the seventh CSUF athlete to test positive for the virus since the beginning of the fall semester. As of Nov. 17, there have been 21 positive cases of the COVID-19 at CSUF.

The positive test comes in slew of other college basketball players and coaches testing positive in recent weeks, with some games getting postponed or canceled.

In an interview with the Daily Titan on Thursday, head coach Dedrique Taylor said the possibility of a positive virus test is constantly on his mind. 

“Definitely it’s on my mind, because it's a real possibility that either us can get sick or our opponent can get sick,” Taylor said. “If we have to pivot, then obviously we have to pivot.”

With no other non-conference games announced and having to wait two weeks to resume practices, the next scheduled game for the Titans will be their Big West conference opener on Dec. 27 against Cal State Northridge.