Harry Doig

CSUF golfer Harry Doig is tied for 7th place individually after in round two of the Big West Championships in La Quinta on Monday. (John Fajardo)

Cal State Fullerton men’s golf is in third place with a score of 6-over-par 582 after round two of the Big West Men’s championships.

The Titans were led by Garrett Boe, Harry Doig, Teagan Andrews, Matt Rafter and Trevor McNary who have found good and bad luck on the greens of La Quinta Country Club.

The Titans moved up two spots on the leaderboard after day two of the tournament as they continued to chase Long Beach State, which still holds the top spot on the team leaderboard with a score of 6-under-par 570.

With one round remaining, Fullerton will look to gain ground on Long Beach State as they trail by 12 strokes. The Titans, however, are on the heels of UC Davis, separated by two strokes for second place as the team's head into the final round of the tournament. 

Although Fullerton, as a team, had the best second round with a score of 6-under-par 282, UC Davis was not far behind with a score of 4-under-par 284 while Long Beach State had a score of 5-under-par 283. 

On the individual leaderboard UC Davis’ Lucas Carper holds the top position after two rounds with a score of 7-under-par 137. He has a five stroke lead as the race for second place is stuck in a three-way tie.

Fullerton’s Garrett Boe moved up four spots on the individual leaderboard; he is now tied for second place with Blake Brothers from CSU Northridge and Hunter Epson from Long Beach State with a score of 2-under-par 142.

Long Beach State has two players in Clay Seeber and Isaac Rodea who went down three spots, but are both tied at fifth place with a score of 1-under-par 143.

Harry Doig moved up three sports, he is now tied for seventh place with Thomas Hutchison from UC Davis with an even-144. 

Tegan Andrews proved a force to be reckoned with as he shot just 1-over-par 69. He moved up 14 spots on the leaderboard as he posted the best round among Titan players for the day. He is currently tied in ninth place with Austin Liu from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo and Hunter Reed from Long Beach State with a score of 1-over-par 145. 

Fellow Titans Matt Rafter moved up one spot as he is tied in 24th place and Trevor McNary remains in 43rd place with a score of 20-over-par 164. McNary is just nine strokes away from last place which is currently occupied by UC Riverside golfer Taiga Iwasa with a score of 29-over-par 173.

The Titans need to perform exceptionally as they hit the greens for, potentially, the last time this season at the Big West championships in hopes to secure a victory and title. 

The third and final round of the Big West Men’s Championship is set to start May 4 in La Quinta, California at 8 a.m., where the winners for the team competition as well as the individual competition will be decided. Fullerton is set to tee-off at 8:50 a.m. with Long Beach and UC Davis.