20190211_661

Derek Castillo is in first place after the shortened first day of the Orange County Collegiate Classic (Matt Brown / CSF Athletics).

Cal State Fullerton men’s golf played at the Orange County Collegiate Classic on Monday at the Coto de Caza Golf and Racquet Club, but the game was cut short by darkness.

The Titans were unable to get past the first two rounds and were left at second place through the first 12 holes of the second round.

CSUF is currently 11-over-par 299 and are two strokes behind University of San Francisco, which is in first place. Four strokes behind the Titans, in third place, is UC San Diego and in the fourth and fifth places are Grand Canyon University and California Baptist University, respectively. 

Fullerton was not the only Big West school in the tournament. UC Irvine sits in sixth place, shooting 22-over-par 302 and UC Santa Barbara and Cal Poly San Luis Obispo are in seventh and ninth place, respectively. Santa Barbara is just one stroke behind UC Irvine while Cal Poly SLO is three strokes behind. 

Other Big West colleges did not have as much success as the Titans. Cal State Northridge shot 27-over-par 310 for 10th place and UC Riverside is in last place out of 17 teams after shooting 53-over-par 321. 

Leading all 93 players at the tournament, CSUF senior Derek Castillo shot 7-under-par 68 through 14 holes in the second round. Castillo is four strokes ahead of UC San Diego’s Jacob Johnson, who is in second place. If he holds onto first, it would be his first first-place finish since he won the Bill Cullum Invitational as a sophomore. 

Castillo had a strong first round as he shot six birdies and two bogeys. With only playing through the first 14 holes of the second round, Castillo had five birdies. 

In third place, behind Castillo and one stroke behind Johnson is Titan senior Jack Dyer, who shot 2-under-par 72 through the second round’s first 15 holes. If Dyer can hold onto his position for the rest of the tournament, it would be his fourth top ten finish in his fifth tournament of the season. 

Dyer’s first round saw him shoot four birdies, two bogeys and a double bogey. He had a more consistent second round as he shot three birdies and one bogey. 

Two strokes behind Dyer and tied for fourth are Alex Chin from San Francisco and Riley Bell from Sacramento State who shot even-par-71 and even-par-72, respectively. 

The rest of the Titans were further down the leaderboard. 

Two Titans, Dalton Daniel and Jess Scheller, are tied for 46th with Santa Clara’s Zackary Kaneshiro. 

CSUF’s Matt Rafter shot 11-over-par 80 through the first 16 holes of the second round. He is tied for 59th place with Tomas Helgo of CSUN, Jack Avrit of Santa Clara University and Dakota Terry of North Alabama. 

Despite a rough first round where Rafter shot two triple-bogeys, he had a stronger second round that improved his standing in the tournament. However, he shot a double-bogey and four bogeys. 

Next for the Titans was Trevor McNarry, who shot 13-over-par 83, tying him for 65th place with eight other golfers. McNarry’s first round saw him shoot two double-bogeys and nine bogeys, but finished with an eagle. McNarry had a better start through the second round as he shot one double bogey, three bogeys and three birdies. 

CSUF’s Garrett Boe shot 14-over-par 79, tying him for 74th place with Sacramento State’s Jeff Carr. Despite shooting three birdies in the first round, his score was dragged down by a double bogey and eight bogeys. Boe’s performance in the second round has not improved much as he has a triple bogey, a double bogey and three bogeys to only one birdie. 

Last for the Titans was Blake Petchel, who tied for 79th with five other golfers at 17-over-par 81. 

This was the first tournament for the Titans since last October, when they finished fourth at the Hoakalei Country Club Invitational at Ewa Beach, Hawaii. 

The Orange County Collegiate Classic resumes play today at 8:30 a.m. The Titans look to overtake San Francisco for their first first-place finish of the season. If they remain in second, it will still be their highest finish this season, with their best finish taking place at the Ram Masters Invitational when they took third place.