Cal State Fullerton Men’s Golf Feb.11, 2019.Photo by Matt Brown

(Matt Brown / Daily Titan)

The Cal State Fullerton men’s golf team opened its 2019-20 season Monday with a 54-hole tournament at par 70 for the Rams Masters Invitational in Fort Collins, Colorado at the Fort Collins Country Club.

After the first day of the two day event, the Titans ended the second round tied for fourth place with the University of Denver with a score of 7-over-par 567.

CSUF was one of 17 schools that were participating in the tournament hosted by Colorado State, who finished day one atop the team leaderboard, shooting 10-under-par 550. 

The reigning Big West champions were led by freshman Garrett Boe in the first round as he was the only Titan who shot under par with a 3-under-par 67 score.  

Boe was also tied for second place with Fresno State’s Michael Cliff on the individual leaderboard, trailing behind Texas El Paso’s Oskar Ambrosius who shot 5-under-par 65. 

Texas El Paso were the team leaders after round one as they shot 1-under-par 279.  

CSUF as a team made 11 birdies in the first round, five of which came from Boe.

At the end of the first round the Titans were tied in seventh place with Grand Canyon as they both had a score of 17-over-par 287.

As the second round got underway, Titan senior Derek Castillo started the front nine on a positive note with a birdie on the first hole of the round. 

The Titans were able to follow his lead as they shot 14 birdies in the second round, eight of them coming from Boe and senior Jack Dyer, who both had four birdies each. 

Castillo had the best score in the second round for the Titans as he shot 2-under-par 68, which scored good enough to bring the Titan up to 12th place on the individual leaderboard, tying him with seven other golfers with an even par after the first two rounds.

Texas El Paso’s Ambrosius remained the individual leader after the second round when he shot 2-under-par 68. 

This brought his day one score to 7-under-par 133, which was one stroke better than Fresno State’s Cliff. 

CSUF’s Boe was the best finisher for the team as he tied for fourth place with Colorado State’s Davis Bryant with a 3-under-par 137 after day one.

Dyer finished the day tied for 46th place with five other golfers with a score of 5-over-par 145. 

Dalton Daniel was one of five golfers tied for 52nd in the individual leaderboard with a score of 6-over-par 146 on day one.

Rounding out the Titan team was Michael Sharkey who shot 8-over-par 148, which put him in a five way tie for 64th place.

The second day of the Ram Masters Invitational will take place Tuesday, Sept. 17 at Fort Collins Country Club.