mens_golf

(Matt Brown / CSF Athletics)

The CSUF men’s golf team spent the weekend in Lihue, Hawaii for the John Burns Intercollegiate Tournament at Wailua Golf Course.

The Titans, less than two weeks removed from being named co-champions of the Orange County Classic, finished 13th out of 21 teams. 

CSUF sent five players to participate in the tournament, which included Derek Castillo, Jack Dyer, Garrett Boe, Matt Rafter and Dalton Daniel. Castillo and Dyer individually finished in first and second places respectively at the Orange County Classic earlier in the month.

Round one had mixed results for the Titans on Thursday. Daniel led his team with a score of 1-under-par 71, and recorded a birdie on three of the first five holes at the start of the tournament.

Castillo, Dyer and Boe all finished the day at 3-over-par 75. Rafter trailed them at 4-over-par 76. 

Dyer started his round by shooting 2-under-par through the first 13 holes, including an eagle on hole 10, but recorded a quadruple bogey on hole 15 which spoiled his round. Castillo also had an eagle in the first round during the ninth hole, but it was sandwiched between two double bogeys at the eighth and 14th holes.

CSUF finished the round tied for 12th place at 8-over-par 296.

The Titans moved up in the team rankings in round two, as they tied for eighth place, 11-over-par 587. Rafter led the team with a 2-under-par 70 on the round, with a bogey the first hole and then added three birdies and 14 pars to close out his best round of the weekend.

Boe, Castillo and Daniel all had quality second rounds as Boe shot 1-over-par 73, while Castillo and Daniel performed one shot worse at 2-over-par 74. Rafter ended the day just six shots out of first place.

CSUF performed similarly in the third round of the tournament. The Titans finished the third round at 3-over-par 291 and placed 13th with the final round score that put them at  14-over-par.

Castillo’s third round as his first round of the tournament free of double bogeys. His score of 2-under-par 70 in the third round was his best of the weekend.

Dyer rebounded after a rough second round by posting a 1-under-par 71 with three birdies and two bogeys, his best score of the tournament.

Boe ended the tournament with five bogeys and one double-bogey that outweighed his two birdies and the eagle that he sank on the ninth hole. He finished the round at 3-over-par 75.

Two double-bogeys was the story of the final day for Rafter. He shot 5-over-par, 77, making it his worst score of the weekend.

Daniel performed the best out of the entire Titan team. His final day ended at 3-over-par 75 and managed to avoid anything worse than a bogey on all 54 holes he played.

Castillo finished tied for 42nd, Daniel was tied for 47th, Rafter and Boe tied for 76th and Dyer tied for 88th out of the 124 players to participate in the tournament.

Texas A&M left Hawaii as champions of the tournament, defeating second-place New Mexico by five strokes. Aggies’ Sam Bennett and Jimmy Lee finished in the third and seventh places individually.

The individual winner of the tournament was Sam Choi of second place New Mexico. Choi shot 10-under -par and registered just four bogeys over 54 holes. Choi also had 12 birdies and an eagle.

Fullerton’s next event is the Sacramento State Invitational on March 2-3 in Elk Grove, California at the Valley Hi Country Club.