021020_0215

CSUF men’s golf player Jack Dyer is in first place of the Sacramento State Invitational (Matt Brown / CSF Athletics).

The CSUF men’s golf team played the first 36 holes of the Sacramento State Invitational at Valley Hi Country Club on Monday. 

The Titans followed up their impressive first round at the top of the leaderboard with an even more dominating second round that saw them jump out to a 13-stroke lead ahead of second place UC Santa Barbara.

The Titans left as champions of the two-day tournament in Elk Grove, California, last season, as Jack Dyer won the individual championship.

Round one was a successful start to the tournament for CSUF. The team ended the round in first place at 9-over-par 297, three strokes ahead of UCSB.

Fullerton sent Jack Dyer, Derek Castillo, Matt Rafter, Dalton Daniel and Garrett Boe to participate in the team event. Trevor McNarry and Jess Scheller are also participating in the tournament, representing CSUF individually.

Castillo’s round had an even par through the first seven holes. He collected an eagle on hole eight, only to watch his fantastic start disappear on hole nine after a quadruple bogey. He finished the round 1-over-par 73, which was enough to tie for third.

Dyer finished just one stroke behind Castillo at 2-over-par 74, and they tied for ninth place. Dyer had a clean round, as he collected 14 pars, three bogeys and one birdie.

Rafter tied for ninth with Dyer by posting a nearly identical scorecard after the first 18 holes, as he collected 14 pars, three bogeys and a birdie. 

Daniel had a solid start to his day, as he shot 1-under-par on his first nine holes, but five bogeys on the back nine left him at 4-over-par 76 for the round. Boe finished behind Daniel, 9-over-par 81.

The individual leader after one round was Eric Hagen from the University of Denver. Hagen shot 1-under-par 71.

After posting the best score in the second round, Dyer reclaimed his spot atop of the tournament as he finished 2-under-par 70. He started the ensuing round and collected a birdie on the first hole and followed it up with four more in the round. He capped his day with a birdie on the 18th hole, bookending the round with exceptional play.

Castillo fell off slightly in the second round, 2-over-par 74. He compiled three bogeys in the back nine of the round, including one on the last hole, but he was still able to finish tied for third after his first day on the green. 

Daniel tied for eighth by the conclusion of the second round, 1-over-par 73. Although he collected four birdies, Daniel countered his efforts for the round with a bogey on three holes and a double-bogey on hole 11.

Rafter struggled mightily to start the second round. He scored over par on six of the front nine, but he reclaimed his footing on the backend of the round by scoring birdies on three holes. He finished the round 5-over-par 77 to tie for 12th place in the tournament. 

Boe improved his performance from the first round as he went 3-over-par 75 to tie for 30th place. 

McNarry and Scheller finished day one of the tournament in 41st and 49th place. 

The Titans will play the third and final round of the tournament today hoping to grab the invitational’s championship for a second consecutive year.