021020_0338

(Matt Brown / CSF Athletics)

The Cal State Fullerton men’s golf team finished the third and final round of the Sacramento State Invitational yesterday at the Valley Hi Country Club. CSUF posted the best single-round team score of the tournament at 11-under-par 288 and were crowned champions for the second year in a row.

The five-man team that the Titans sent to Elk Grove, California, completely outmatched their competition. They finished the two-day, three-round invitational at 2-over-par 866 — 23 strokes ahead of second-place Cal State Northridge, making them back-to-back winners of the Sacramento State Invitational.

CSUF also left the country club with an individual winner, Derek Castillo, as he went 4-under-par 68 in his best round of the three. The strong third round sent him into first place overall, 1-under-par 215.

Castillo is the second Titan in a row to win the individual title at the invitational. CSUF senior Jack Dyer went home with the award in 2019.

Castillo’s win is his second in less than a month, as he took first place in the Orange County Collegiate Classic in the second week of February.

Dyer followed his strong outing from last season and finished the third round at 1-over-par 73, which put him at 1-over-par 217 for the tournament. Dyer finished in third place overall, behind Castillo and CSUN’s Mats Ege.

Dyer was the only member of Fullerton’s five-man team to finish over par in the third round. Dalton Daniel logged his best outing of the tournament in round three as he shot 2-under-par 70, which tied him for fourth overall at 3-over-par 219.

Matt Rafter matched fellow Titan Daniel at 2-under-par 70 in the third round, which was also his best of the invitational. Rafter’s seven-stroke improvement from the second round brought him up to a sixth-place tie with a 5-over-par 221 overall.

Garrett Boe started round one 9-over-par 81, then proceeded to make a six-stroke improvement in rounds two and three, and ended round three 3-under-par 69. Boe finished the three rounds in 16th place, 9-over-par 225. 

Trevor McNarry shot 3-over-par 75 in round three, which put him at 17-over par 233 and in a tie for 39th place overall. Jess Scheller shot his best round of the tournament in round three, 2-over-par 74, and finished in a tie for 47th place at 18-over-par 234. Both McNarry and Scheller competed individually in the tournament.

Weber State’s Hunter Howe finished with the best round of the tournament as he shot 5-under-par 67 in the final round.

Several Big West competitors participated in the tournament alongside CSUF. Behind second place CSUN were UC Irvine in third, UC Santa Barbara in fourth, Cal Poly SLO in seventh and UC Riverside in ninth.

The Titans will head out to Phoenix, Arizona for the Grand Canyon University Invitational on March 13-14 for their next event.