golf_athletics

Photo Courtesy of CSF Athletics

The CSUF men’s golf team wrapped up the final round of the inaugural Orange County Collegiate Classic at the Coto de Caza Golf and Racquet Club on Tuesday.

The team entered the third round sitting eight strokes behind the University of San Francisco after two rounds of play. After shooting a tournament best 5-under par in round three, the Titans tied with San Francisco for first place at 12-over-par 876.

Grand Canyon University placed third at 31-over-par 895, followed by a three-way tie for fourth place, 36-over-par 900, between UC Santa Barbara, Santa Clara University and UC Irvine.

Sacramento State, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, Cal State Northridge and UC Riverside rounded out Tuesday’s Big West conference teams. 

Sacramento State took 12th place after shooting 56-over-par 920. Cal Poly SLO finished in 13th place, as they dropped three spots on the day and finished 60-over-par 912. CSUN fell six spots in the last round and finished 15th overall, 69-over-par 933. Riverside landed in last at 17th overall as they shot 102-over-par 966.

Derek Castillo finished the day where he started it — on top of the leaderboard. The senior from Yorba Linda finished the tournament as one of two players under par. Castillo’s third round was not as clean as his first two as he had three bogeys and a double bogey, but managed to get five birdies in his final day on the course. Castillo finished the tournament at 8-under-par 208.

The only other player to finish under par after three rounds was fellow CSUF Titan, Jack Dyer. Dyer entered the the third round at 1-under par and finished the day in the same spot after shooting even-par-72. Dyer split the front nine between three birdies, pars and bogeys. The 12th hole was his best of the tournament as he buried an eagle on a 556-yard par five.

San Francisco’s Tim Widing pushed his way into third place after a wild round that saw him double bogey hole one, triple bogey hole three and then finish his round with eagles on 12 and 18. Widing finished the tournament even par.

Widing surpassed his teammate Alex Chin in the final round. Chin finished the final round shooting 1-over-par 73 and putting him at 1-over-par 217 for the tournament.

CSUF senior Matt Rafter had his strongest showing in round three, finishing 3-under-par 69 and moving up 34 places and tied for 23rd overall in the individual standings. Rafter shot even par on the front nine, with seven pars, one bogey and one birdie. The back nine started with a bogey, but Rafter then went 3-under-par on the back nine.

Junior Dalton Daniel and freshman Garrett Boe finished one stroke apart after round three. Dalton shot a 6-over-par 78 and dropped eight spots to a tie for 46th overall. Boe rose 14 spots and managed five birdies in the third round, but had a double and triple bogey, putting him at 2-over-par 74 on the day and 16-over-par 232 to end the tournament.

Freshman Trevor McNary rose 24 spots on the individual leaderboard after putting together his best round of the tournament at 2-under-par 70. McNary had a ten-stroke improvement from his round two 80 and a 13-stroke improvement from his 83 strokes in round one. McNary’s strong start was the key to his success as he birdied four of the first six holes in round three.

Sophomores Jess Scheller and Blake Petchel both struggled in their final round. Scheller shot 9-over-par 81 and Petchel shot 14-over-par 86 in the third round.

The CSUF men’s golf team will travel to Lihue, Hawaii and play in the John Burns Intercollegiate at the Wailua Golf Course from Feb. 20-22.