courtesy_csuf_std

(Courtesy of CSUF Athletics)

Springboarded by two top-three tournament finishes in April, the Cal State Fullerton men’s golf team entered their final tournament of the season as the top-seeded school participating in the Big West Championships when they tee’d off in Lihue, Hawaii on Monday morning. However, in the first day of the Big West Tournament progressed, the Titans would not be able to cash in on their compelling string of April performances, ultimately falling to fourth overall at 16-over par 592 as day one of the two-day tournament drew to a close.

UC Irvine currently sits in first place with a score of 10-over par 586. Individually, UC Santa Barbara’s Zach Smith is in first place at 2-under par 142.

For the Titans, difficulties began to arise as early as the tournament began, eventually landing them in seventh place at the end of the first round amid eight other teams.

By the end of the first round of play, the Titans had shot 13-over-par 301 as a team, with their top individual performer, Derek Castillo, nearing the middle of the leaderboard at 13th place out of the 45 other individual competitors. Through the first round, no individual team member for the Titans was able to come up with a score at or under par-72.

Fullerton suffered at an inopportune time with sophomore Dalton Daniel shooting 7-over par 79, while both Michael Sharkey and Jack Dyer shot 4-over par 76.

Dyer and Sharkey started to pick up during the second round, each ending the day with a second round score of 2-over par 74 to bring both of their total scores to 6-over par 150.

Despite hitting three birdies in the front nine of the second round, Dyer could not gain ground in the standings as he hit double bogeys on the third and the seventh hole to end the first half at 1-over par 37.

Daniel had a rough start to the second round as he started with a double bogey on the first hole and then hit two bogeys within the first four holes. He ended the second round at 3-over par 75 and tied for 31st with one round left to play.

Matt Wilson was the top performer for the Titans during the second round, as he shot six birdies, three coming from the final six holes.

The six birdies put Wilson at 4-under par 68 for the round and in total, he is currently tied for second place in the individual standings at 1-under 143 along with UCI’s Matt Gunson.

The Titans will finish up the final round of the Big West Championships at the Wailua Golf Course today to make up some ground.