021020_0077

(Matt Brown / CSUF Athletics)

The CSUF golf programs had their seasons cut short after the Big West board of directors announced the cancellation of all remaining winter and spring sports for the rest of the 2020 school year on Friday. The decision came based on addressing the public health concern to suppress any further spread of the COVID-19 virus.

The CSUF men’s golf team was set to tee off at the Grand Canyon University Invitational on Friday before the inevitable announcement made by the Big West conference to cancel the season. 

Men’s golf played their last tournament of the season on March 2 and 3 in the Sacramento State Invitational at the Valley Hi Country Club in Elks Grove, California where the Titans were once again tournament champions for the second consecutive year. Fullerton dominated the tournament as the team won 23 strokes ahead of 10 other schools which included conference competitors UC Irvine and UC Santa Barbara.

Titans senior golfer Derek Castillo took home the tournament win for CSUF and finished 4-under-par 68, while seniors Jack Dyer, Matt Rafter and junior Dalton Daniel finished in the top 10. 

Fullerton never placed lower than 13th place as a team in any of their contests this season, including top 10 finishes in six of the seven tournaments played.

Within those seven tournaments, Castillo had a pair of first place tournament finishes in the Orange County Collegiate Classic and the Sacramento State Invitational, while Dyer tied for first place at the Mark Simpson Colorado Invitational. 

Castillo and Dyer finished their senior year campaigns with 21 rounds played in seven total tournaments, but Castillo finished with a scoring average of 70.48 and Dyer put up a 71.24 scoring average. Rafter completed his year with 15 rounds played in five tournaments with a 73.87 scoring average. 

Men’s golf had three tournaments remaining in their schedule before the beginning of the Big West men’s golf championship where the team was set to defend its 2019 conference title.

The women’s team had a collection of highlights in the 2019-20 season, from winning their first tournament since 2014 at the Hobble Creek Fall Classic back in September, to also winning a total of three consecutive tournaments in September and setting the record for most tournament victories in a single season. 

The women’s golf team played their last tournament of the season in Jacksonville, Florida at the UNF Collegiate tournament from March 9-10 where the Titans finished in ninth place,  55-over-par 919. 

However, freshman golfer Brittany Shin secured her first individual tournament win of the season and shot 1-over-par 217. Shin is the first Titan to win a tournament individually since 2017 when Martina Edberg won the Big West tournament. 

Shin finished her competitive season with 15 rounds played in five tournaments and led the team with a scoring average of 73.66 after her performance in the previous tournament.

With potentially their last collegiate season over, senior golfer Elsa Lundquist ended her season with 15 rounds played in five total tournaments and had a scoring average of 75.73, while senior golfer Texie Petchel finished her year with 12 rounds played in four tournaments with a 76.33 scoring average. 

The Red Rocks Invitational was set to be the Titan’s next tournament appearance at the Oakcreek Country Club in Sedona, Arizona this weekend. The women’s team also had three tournaments remaining in their schedule before the commencement of the Big West women’s golf championship. 

While the final collegiate careers of the both program’s senior class did come to an abrupt end, the NCAA is considering eligibility relief to all athletes who were participating in a spring sport this year. This would give the senior athletes an opportunity to finish out the remainder of their careers on their own terms.