Men's soccer vs Seattle photo

CSUF goalkeeper Andrea Bonavia dives for a ball against UCSD in 2019. (CSUF Athletics)

Cal State Fullerton men’s soccer lost their season opening match to Seattle University, 1-0, on Thursday night in the first-ever meeting between the two schools. 

The Titans played their first game since Nov. 9, 2019  at Championship Field in Seattle, Washington. 

The Redhawks started out the game aggressive as the host team had two shots on goal in the first five minutes of the contest, which were both saved by Titan goalkeeper Andrea Bonavia. 

Titan forward Dylan Robinson, in his first official game for Fullerton, gave the Titans their first shot of the game in the ninth minute but it sailed over the post.

Fullerton was stagnant offensively in the first half, as they put up only two shots; one of which was a free kick by forward Mario Gomez at 41 minutes that was saved by Seattle’s goalkeeper Akili Sakim.

The first half of the game did not feature any goals and got quite physical, thanks in part to both teams combining for 14 fouls, two yellow cards and six shots in the period. 

However, the second half proved to be more action packed as the two teams cut down on fouls and increased their shot totals from the first half. 

Following an offside by Fullerton in the 53rd minute, Seattle was able to counter with a shot on goal from forward Declan McGlynn that was saved by Bonavia. On the ensuing corner kick, the Redhawks were able to set up McGlynn for another scoring opportunity that was also saved by Bonavia. 

Following a foul called on McGlynn, the Titans countered and forward Alex Pimentel put up a shot that went wide left in the 55th minute. 

At 58 minutes, the tie was broken. After McGlynn was fouled by Titan defender Kyle Kirkland just outside the box, Seattle had another free kick opportunity. 

McGlynn sent the ball over a wall of Fullerton players and just far enough out of reach for a diving Bonavia before it rolled to the back of the net from 20 yards out, giving Seattle a 1-0 lead.

Fullerton attempted to counter with another shot from Gomez outside of the box that was saved by Sakim once again.

A shot from Redhawks midfielder Levonte Johnson bounced off the post and fellow Redhawks midfielder Jesse Ortiz had an open look to clean up but it went wide left.

Both teams continued to go back and forth but neither found the back of the net again after 90 minutes, and ended the game at 1-0.

Offense was hard to come by for the Titans as they finished with just six total shots compared to Seattle’s 16. Gomez led the Titans with three total shots and had both of the teams’ shots on goal. Bonavia kept the Titans in the game, despite the goal allowed, with seven total saves.

The Titans will play the Washington Huskies, ranked No. 9 in Division I, before their home opener against Loyola Marymount at Titan Stadium this Friday at 7:00 p.m.