men's soccer vs UCR photo

Noah Dollenmayer (left) looks to pass to one of his teammates against Loyola Marymount University on Sept. 3. (Danica Huynh / Daily Titan)

Following a 2-0 loss against Cal Poly San Luis Obispo on Oct. 13, Cal State Fullerton’s men's soccer team returned to the field on Oct. 16 in a pivotal conference match against UC Riverside that ended in a 1-1 draw.

Neither team was able to create a lot of separation throughout the match and had many opportunities to score.

The 110-minute game ended in a tie after two 10-minute overtime periods. The Highlanders had three shots on goal in the first half, and the Titans had four shots on goal with one successful goal.

A goal in the 40th minute by defender Noah Dollenmayer put the Titans on the board. It was Dollenmayer’s first goal of the season and came from a corner kick pass by teammate Alex Pimental, which Dollenmayer perfectly headed into the goal. He came into the game in the 33rd minute and had a total of three shots on the goal throughout the game.

This lead lasted through the half, until UCR’s midfielder Oscar Penate scored in the 71st minute to tie the game. Penate’s goal came on a pass by Federico Ucar, where Penate dribbled by three Titans in the box to tie up the game.

The game went into overtime, consisting of two 10-minute halves with not much occurring in most of the first overtime half until the very end. After the extra 20 minutes, the Titans and Highlanders failed to score, and ended the game at 1-1.

Despite UCR having more scoring opportunities throughout the match with corner kicks, the Titans had more shots on goal. Both teams had multiple scoring opportunities — 13 shots in total with four shots on goal by CSUF and 11 shots with two shots on goal by UCR.

The Titans received 16 fouls while the Highlanders received only nine, indicating that CSUF lost more possessions and turned the ball over more than they would have liked. UC Riverside recorded three total saves on goal while CSUF recorded one.

The Big West is currently topped by UC Santa Barbara, which sits 4-0-2 in league play. There are three conference games left for the Titans with Cal State Northridge, Sacramento State and UC Irvine. Sacramento and Irvine are higher in the standings, while CSUN is tied with CSUF for eighth place.

This tie moves the Titans to a 1-4-1 record in conference play and makes their overall record 3-8-3. The Highlanders are 3-2-1 in conference, moving their season record to 8-5-1 and fourth in the standings.

The Titans will look to break their tie against Northridge on Wednesday night with a scheduled kickoff at 7 p.m. at Matador Soccer Field.