men's soccer vs Sac State preview

Sebastian Cruz, seen here at Titan Stadium on Sept. 3, looks to help extend CSUF's win streak against Sac State. (CSUF Athletics)

With only two games left in the season, the Cal State Fullerton men’s soccer team will head to Hornet Soccer Field to take on the Sacramento State Hornets on Saturday at 3 p.m. for their final road game of the season.

Their current record sits at 3-8-3 overall with a 1-4-1 record in the Big West conference. It has been a down season for the team as they currently sit in eighth place in the conference with just four points. They are four points behind Sac State who are in seventh place.

Their biggest problem has been the offense. They have been able to hold their opponents to low scores, but have been unable to score multiple goals in a game since Sept. 29.

Another problem has been performing away from Titan Stadium. The Titans are 0-6-1 in road games this season.

CSUF has also been reliant on two players. Sophomore midfielder Sebastian Cruz has scored six goals on the season and assisted on three more. That is good for 15 points. He is also one of only two players who have started every other game for the Titans. The other is senior defender Clayton Torr.

Forward Samuel Owusu, another sophomore, has contributed with four goals of his own for eight points. Freshman midfielder Erick Serrano is the only other player on the team who has accounted for more than two points. He has a goal and an assist for a total of three points.

The Hornets enter Wednesday’s game against the UC Santa Barbara Gauchos with a record of 4-8-3. They are 2-2-2 in the Big West and are coming off a big overtime 2-1 win over the UC San Diego Tritons. It was a nice comeback win as they were able to tie the game in the 77th minute . It was sophomore forward Titus Washington who nailed the game winning goal in overtime.

The Hornets have had a much more balanced attack on offense. Washington and fellow sophomore forward Michael Gonzalez each have seven points. Gonzalez has three goals and an assist, while Washington has two goals and three assists.

Junior midfielder Oscar Govea, sophomore forward Francisco Magana and senior defender Tyler Moss have all accounted for six points each. Govea and Magana each have two goals and two assists.

The history of this matchup has favored the Titans. They lead the all time series 8-3. The Titans have outscored the Hornets with an outstanding 22-5 advantage. Fullerton is also currently riding a three-game winning streak against the Hornets. Their latest meeting was a 2-1 win in double overtime at Sacramento State in 2019. The Hornets do have the advantage when they are at home. All three wins against the Titans have occurred at home. Their latest loss was the first time that the Titans were able to beat them at Hornet Field.