LMU soccer photo

CSUF sophomore forward Samuel Owusu maps a path to the goal while dribbling past LMU defenders on Sept. 4 at Titan Stadium. (CSUF Athletics)

Cal State Fullerton’s men’s soccer team is looking for a jumpstart early in the season as they take on Air Force Academy in Colorado on Friday at 5 p.m.

The Titans are winless so far, with a record of 0-3. In their previous match against Loyola Marymount, they held a one-goal lead before they went down to a 10-man disadvantage and lost 2-1 in overtime.

After the match, head coach George Kuntz said he was proud of the team's effort and thought it was a step in the right direction.

“The team showed a lot of heart. We dominated this game up until the red card,” Kuntz said. “I’m proud of the guys, the work ethic and I think we’re making progress.”

Both teams will compete after having their 2020 fall season canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

So far, the Titans have trouble scoring goals, posting 1-0, 4-0 and 2-1 losses. However, the team came alive in their last outing with five shots on goal despite the 10-man disadvantage.

The Air Force Falcons will also enter the match with an 0-3 and are seeking their first win of the season. They are coming off a 2-3 overtime loss at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville, their closest match of the season. The matchup against CSUF will be their first home match of the season.

The Titans will have an opportunity to get their offense going against a defense that has allowed more than two goals in each of their first three games. Air Force is currently averaging around three goals allowed per game.

Fullerton is trailing close behind Air Force Academy’s three scored goals with one of their own. However, the Titans will enter Friday’s matchup with an overall total of 20 shots compared to Air Force’s 39.

Air Force’s senior midfielder Tristan Tager will be good competition against the Titans defense as he leads his team with 10 shots and one scored goal. His fellow Falcon junior defender London Aghedo also has a spot on the Falcon’s board with one goal and two shots.

Senior forward Mario Gomez leads the Titans with seven shots while his fellow teammate sophomore forward Samuel Owusu has the only scored goal on the board.

In the 2019 season the Titans finished 12-7-1. Among the 15 returnees is junior midfielder Jessy Sotelo who scored three goals for the Titans in 2019. Junior midfielder Jose Delgado has also returned to the field after completing seven shots for the team in their last season.

The Titans Friday matchup against the Falcons will be followed by another on Sept. 12 against the University of Denver Pioneers.