men's soccer preview photo

Sebastian Cruz dribbles past an LMU defender on Sept. 3 at Titan Stadium. (Danica Huynh/Daily Titan)

Cal State Fullerton men’s soccer team continues to seek their first win of the season as they prepare to take on the University of San Francisco on Friday at home.

With 12 games remaining in the regular season, Fullerton returns home after a two-game road trip against the Air Force Falcons and the University of Denver Pioneers, where the Titans lost 3-1 and 2-1 respectively.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic which caused the cancellation of their 2020 season, CSUF and San Francisco will compete against each other for the first time since 2019.

The Titans have an all-time record of 9-12-2 against the University of San Francisco Dons and in their last match, Fullerton defeated San Francisco, 2-1.

Fullerton ended the 2019 season with a 12-7-1 record, with 270 shots and 27 goals scored.

However, Fullerton started slow this season and are winless with a record of 0-4-1. In their most recent game against the Pioneers, the Titans lost, 2-1. CSUF sophomore forward Samuel Owusu found his way to the back of the net and scored the lone goal in the 55th minute.

The Titans have 24 shots on goal this season while they average 2.26 goals allowed per game.

Owusu has a total of four shots and is tied with sophomore midfielder, Sebastian Cruz for the most goals on the team with two.

Despite the loss at Denver, CSUF has had an offensive presence with 51 shots and five goals this season. Senior forward Mario Gomez currently leads the team with 14 shots.

With a 1-3 record, the Dons are also struggling as they have lost their last three games and are coming off a 3-0 loss against Cal Poly San Luis Obispo.

San Francisco trails Fullerton on the offensive end with 34 shots and three goals.

CSUF does have an advantage on Friday night as they average 10.2 shots per game and one goal per game compared to San Francisco’s 8.5 shots per game and 0.75 goals per game.

San Francisco’s forward Nonso Adimabua will be a challenge for Fullerton as he leads the Dons with 10 shots and two goals.

The Dons’ goalkeeper Charlie McKay has allowed an average of 2.23 goals per game.

Titans defense has been strong behind junior goalkeeper Andrea Bonavia who has recorded 28 saves.

The Titans’ Friday matchup will be followed by another on Sept. 19 against the University of San Diego Toreros.

Fullerton has not competed against San Diego since September 2018, which resulted in a 1-0 win in overtime for the Titans at Torero Stadium.

As of now, San Diego has a 1-5 record. Sophomore forward Nicklas Clausen leads the Toreros with 14 shots and three goals. However, it is not just a one-man game for San Diego. Toreros’ forward Jake Schneider also leads with a total of seven shots and one goal.

The Titans will face the Dons at 7:30 p.m. on Sept. 17, and the Toreros at 5 p.m. on Sept. 19, with both matchups at the Titan Stadium.