CSUF men’s soccer

(Courtesy of Taylor Arthur)

For the first time in the Cal State Fullerton men’s soccer history, the Titans swept the Big West offensive and defensive players of the week honors.

Forward Samuel Goni was named offensive player of the week and goalkeeper Paul-Andre Guerin was named defensive player of the week.

This is the third time in Goni’s collegiate career that he has been named offensive player of the week. Goni recorded an assist on Wednesday against Cal Poly and scored the game-winning goal Saturday night against Sacramento State.

Saturday’s goal helped the Titans gain ground in the Big West standings. It gave Goni two game-winning goals this season.

Including his performance last week, Goni has five goals on the season, which leads the team in scores. He has scored a goal and assisted in four of his last five games.

For the second time this month, Guerin was named Big West defensive player of the week. Guerin recorded two shutouts last week with three saves in the 2-0 win versus the Mustangs and six saves in the 1-0 win against the Hornets. Guerin has five shutouts this season.  

“Getting shutouts is a team effort. It starts with the forwards who are the first defenders. I’m glad I get credit for that by being named defensive player of the week, but it’s more recognition for the entire team,” Guerin said.

Head coach George Kuntz was grateful to see two of his players acknowledged for their performance last week.

“We are grateful for the acknowledgment of two very prominent players in college soccer. Although these are historical given what Cal State Fullerton men’s soccer program has accomplished, we are more proud of the team and the journey of this program,” Kuntz said in a press release.