Daisy Munoz

Daisy Munoz extended her on-base streak to 22 games on Saturday at home against UC Santa Barbara. (Andre Gomez / Daily Titan)

Cal State Fullerton softball continued its Big West dominance as the Titans picked up their 15th consecutive conference victory with their sweep over UC Santa Barbara this past weekend. 

The accomplishment marks Fullerton’s best start to their conference schedule in program history at 15-0. The Titans currently lead the Big West, with their closest competitor being rival Long Beach State in second place at 16-2. 

Fullerton’s bats stayed hot all weekend as the Titans outscored the Gauchos 31-3 on their way to the four-game sweep. 

Although the fourth game of the series didn’t count towards the team’s conference records, the Titans came out on top in the series finale on Sunday with a 3-0 victory that saw the appearance of many young reserve players from Fullerton’s roster. 

Freshman pitcher Staci Chambers got the starting nod for Fullerton in game four on Sunday where she went four innings while only giving up two hits. She was relieved by Ellie Zellein and Alexia Silvas who helped keep the Gauchos off the board in their combined shutout effort. Chambers earned her second win of the season as a starting pitcher while Silvas earned her first save. 

Alyssa Hernandez put the Titans on the board in the first with a solo home run. Kika Ramirez recorded a 2-run home run herself in the fourth inning that gave Fullerton enough for the victory. 

The final game of the weekend appeared to be an outlier in the series as Fullerton ousted Santa Barbara in the first three contests.

On Friday the Titans opened the series with a 10-0 rout where Fullerton scored at least one run in each of the five innings in the shortened matchup. Saturday featured a doubleheader where both contests followed similar scripts.

The first half of the doubleheader ended in a 9-2 victory for Fullerton which was soon followed by a 9-1 win by the Titans. 

While the team efforts could be commended as a whole, a few Titans improved their resumes with their individual performances.

Pitcher Sophie Frost recorded her 100th strikeout of the season on Friday while earning the shutout victory. The senior replicated her efforts on Saturday where she picked up her second victory of the weekend, pitching five innings and giving up two runs in the Titan’s’ first win of the day. For the season, Frost has a 16-3 record with a 1.92 ERA and 106 strikeouts. 

Outfielder Kelsie Whitmore extended her hitting streak to 11-straight games in addition to reaching base safely through 22 consecutive contests. Whitmore put up an exceptional performance on Saturday in game three of the series, hitting two home runs in the matchup with three RBIs. The senior has nine home runs on the season while batting .352 with 23 RBIs. 

Daisy Munoz extended her on-base streak to 22 games as well. She had a solid day at the plate in game two of the series on Saturday, earning three hits on the afternoon to go along with a home run. For the season, Munoz has a .339 batting average with 32 RBIs. 

Hannah Becerra had two home runs over the weekend, both coming in both games of Saturday’s doubleheaders. The freshman leads the Big West in the category with 11 for the season while also having the second most RBIs at 37. 

Keeping their conference record unscathed, the Titans’ overall record stands at 31-12. Fullerton has gone 22-2 since a three-game skid in the beginning of March as they head into the home stretch of their conference schedule with three series’ remaining for the season. 

The Titans will hit the road next week for a three-game series against Cal Poly Sal Luis Obipso with game one set to begin on Friday at 5 p.m.

Managing Editor F20; Reporter & Sports Editor S21