Julia Valenzuela

Julia Valenzuela, seen here on April 24, batted 3-3 in the series finale against Hawai'i on Saturday. (Andre Gomez / Daily Titan)

Cal State Fullerton’s softball team took all four games against the University of Hawaii Rainbow Wahine in a pair of weekend doubleheaders, which extended Fullerton’s streak of conference series victories to 21. The Titans remain atop the conference standings with an undefeated 21-0 record against Big West opponents and an overall record of 38-12 with only one series left to play in the regular season.

Fullerton outscored Hawai’i, 32-10, and earned more hits, 49-22, over the weekend. Fueled by their powerful lineup, they overwhelmed the Wahine pitchers and provided quick starts to Friday’s doubleheader, while ace Sophie Frost and Dani Martinez continued to overpower the opposing batters.

Game one started with a bang for the Titans when Daisy Munoz smashed home run No. 10 over the left -field fence of Anderson Family Field in the first inning, scoring Hannah Becerra and Kelsie Whitmore and making it a 3-0 ballgame. Frost started the game and largely kept the bases clear of runners, allowing no more than one baserunner per inning until the seventh where she allowed two, though Fullerton led 5-0 at the time after a pair of RBI doubles in the sixth. 

With game one in the win column for the Titans, game two followed a similar script after Fullerton led 4-0 after a pair of two-run innings. The Rainbow Wahine are a 10-11 in conference play this season, but they showed their ability to fight by battling back on multiple occasions over the weekend, this time being the first to make it a two-run game going into the bottom of the sixth down 5-3. CSUF responded with a devastating blow to the tune of six hits and as many RBIs, which ended the game early once again in victory for the Titans.

Saturday’s doubleheader proved to be interesting as Fullerton put up impressive offensive numbers in games three and four which led to crooked scoring totals. 

Game three featured more first-inning scoring by both teams after Fullerton led 3-2 going into the second. After the Rainbow Wahine was able to move a run over home plate in the third, the Titans responded with a three-run burst on the strength of three hits and a sacrifice pop fly, making the score 6-3. The game stayed until the bottom of the fifth when the CSUF lineup strung together five runs on five hits, none of which were extra-base hits, and ended the game at five innings for  Fullerton’s third win with one game to go.

The finale of the series was a culmination of three competitive fights between the Titans and the Rainbow Wahine, tied at No. 4 in the conference with UC San Diego and UC Santa Barbara. Hawai’i started the scoring in the first with a sacrifice fly by Dallas Millwood to score a runner from third. Fullerton responded in the second with a two run, five hit inning, followed by another two-run inning on one swing by Daisy Munoz, who hit a two-run home run to make the score 4-1 in the top of the fourth. 

The Rainbow Wahine added one run in the fourth, fifth and sixth innings, to make it a 5-4 Fullerton lead going into the bottom of the sixth, the winning-run being a Julia Valenzuela RBI double in the bottom half of the fifth inning. Frost entered the game for Alexia Silvas with one out in the sixth and nailed down her second save of her extraordinary season.

Kelsie Whitmore recorded three hits twice and two hits once throughout the series, though she did hit safely in all four games while also chipping in three RBIs. Munoz contributed seven RBIs to the effort, and Becerra went two-for-three with four RBIs in game three. 

Both Frost and Martinez won two games over the weekend, along with Frost’s save. Frost’s record as a starter this season is 20-3, the most wins in the conference, seven more than No. 2. 

Whitmore extended her hitting streak to 17 games with a single in game four, second-best in school history. She has hit safely in 29-consecutive games.

Softball will wrap its regular season on May 14 and May 15 for one final pair of doubleheaders on the road against Long Beach State. Game one and game three the following day are set to begin at 1:00 p.m. 

Reporter Fall 20; Reporter & Asst. Sports Editor S21