Joshua Arief Halim Softball vs Cal Poly-8

(Joshua Arief Halim / Daily Titan)

After sweeping Cal Poly San Luis Obispo this past weekend, the Cal State Fullerton softball team had two players recognized in the Big West’s weekly awards with one week left in the regular season.

Centerfielder Ari Williams was named the conference’s field player of the week, while pitcher Dani Martinez was the freshman player of the week.

William’s honor comes after playing her final games at Anderson Family Field, and the field player of the week award is her third this season.

In the series against the Mustangs, Williams went 7-for-10 at the plate with an RBI.

During last Saturday’s doubleheader, the Moreno Valley native nearly went perfect in her seven at-bats, totaling five hits on the day.

After hitting a sacrifice bunt and grounding out in her first two plate appearances in the series, Williams picked up singles in her next two at-bats. The Titans went on to win in extra innings, 2-1.

In the second game, Williams went 3-for-3 at the plate, the third time she has gone perfect in the batter’s box this season.

Williams hit a single in the first inning, and in the following inning hit an RBI triple to bring in Alexa Neil for a Titans 6-1 victory.  It was Williams’ sixth triple on the season, which is a team high and tied for 10th most triples in the country.

In the final game of the Titan sweep against Cal Poly SLO, Williams went 2-for-4 with a single and double. By reaching base last Sunday, Williams continued her streak of reaching base in every Big West game this season.

The freshman player of the week award was Martinez’s fifth this year, as she continues to propel the Titans towards the Big West championship.

Despite making only one appearance over the weekend, Martinez pitched a complete game in the first doubleheader game. She gave up one run on two hits, three walks and struck out 11 Mustangs. The strikeouts were the most by a Titan pitcher since March 2017.

Martinez continues to carry the best ERA in conference play for CSUF at 1.06, which ranks second in the Big West.

The Titans will conclude their season with a fourth consecutive Big West title on the line as they visit UC Riverside for a three-game series, on Friday.