softball for online

(Adam Maldonado / Daily Titan)

After an impressive 4-1 start to the 2020 season in the Titan Classic, the Cal State Fullerton softball team is reaping the benefits by taking two Big West weekly honors for their success on the field. 

Sophomore pitcher Dani Martinez, the 2019 Big West Freshman Pitcher of Year, was recognized by the conference as the pitcher of the week, her third time receiving the honors in her CSUF career. 

“I think this weekend was really good for us as a team because our energy was there and we had really good competition and we played together as a team,” Martinez said.

The Titan’s ace was a pivotal component for the team in all four victories this past weekend. By the end of the tournament, Martinez had a perfect record of 3-0 which included a save against San Jose State, leading the conference in both wins and saves. 

After five games, Martinez has only given up 10 hits while maintaining a 1.26 ERA. To add to the statistics sheet, Martinez also struck out 21 batters who have stepped to the plate against her. 

“It feels good. I feel like facing other competition was a big thing for me too. It’s good to see new hitters and it’s good to be out there with the same team behind me,” Martinez said. 

In her first start of the season on Sunday, Martinez pitched a gem in a 5-0 shutout over Loyola Marymount University where she only allowed three hits in the contest. She made relief appearances in her first three outings of the season against the University of Middle Tennessee, San Jose and Utah State. 

Martinez stepped into the circle against San Jose State in the top of the fourth, narrowly escaping a bases-loaded situation with no outs without giving up any runs. She finished the night with six strikeouts. 

Freshman Megan Delgadillo shined in her college debut, as she earned herself the freshman of the week honors. Batting primarily from the leadoff for the Titans, Delgadillo was efficient at the plate with a batting average of .550 over five games. She hit multiple times in four games which allowed her to record a team-leading 11 hits for the season.  

Delgadillo proved to be lethal on the base path as the fast-footed freshman was perfect on all six of her steal attempts. She currently leads the conference in that category, having doubled the amount of stolen bases than the player behind her. 

Against San Jose State she had a 4-for-4 performance, and against Utah she went 3-for-4 with three runs. She is responsible for a team-leading six runs. Against Loyola Marymount, she went 2-for-4 while picking up two stolen bases in the weekend finale. 

CSUF head coach Kelly Ford accomplished a significant milestone in her Fullerton career this past weekend as well, picking up her 250th career win while at the helm for the Titans. 

This year marks Ford’s eighth season, leading the Titans. After managing the squad to four straight Big West titles from 2016-19, Ford has also added four Big West coach of the year awards to her trophy shelf as well. 

The Titans will hit the road this weekend to play in the Campbell Cartier Tournament on Feb. 14-15 facing BYU, San Diego State and Southern Utah.