softball_preview1

(Adam Maldonado / Daily Titan)

After opening the season winning the first five of their six games, Cal State Fullerton softball split their slate of games at the Campbell/Cartier Classic, ending the tournament with a 7-4 win over Southern Utah. 

CSUF played a total of four games during the two-day event, starting with a win over BYU before dropping their next two games against San Diego State and a rematch against BYU.

In the first game against BYU, Fullerton was shutout in the first two innings, while BYU came out and scored in the first inning of the game. The Titans fought back, scoring four back-to-back runs and only giving up one run to end the third inning.

The Titans continued to run the board, adding two more runs in both the fourth and fifth inning. BYU quickly answered back with a run of their own in the bottom of the sixth. 

Fullerton was shutout after the fifth inning, but their excellent defense allowed them to hold off BYU and capture the 8-3 victory. Titan right-fielder and Big West Freshman of the Week Megan Delgadillo led the team with two hits and two runs.

Sophomore pitcher had a complete game, giving up nine hits and three walks and recording two strikeouts for the night. Martinez improved her season record to 4-0. 

Fresh off the victory against BYU, Fullerton’s next opponent was San Diego State. This game was scoreless until the fifth inning, when Delgadillo hit a single to the left field which brought home Irie Siofele for the score. SDSU responded with a score of their own in the bottom of the sixth inning.

This game featured the battle of the pitchers, as Fullerton’s Sophia Frost started the game by retiring SDSU’s first 10 batters. Frost pitched 6.1 innings while allowing seven hits, one run, one walk and six strikeouts. SDSU’s Maggie Balint countered by recording five hits, two runs, one earned run, one walk and seven strikeouts. 

The Titans remained scoreless for the next two innings, but at the top of the eighth, Neil singled down the left field line which brought Siofele home, and gave Fullerton the 2-1 lead. Down but not out, the Aztecs responded in the bottom of the eighth with their own two runs, reclaiming the lead and ending the game with a 3-2 victory over the Titans.

Fullerton competed in two more games on Saturday with another double header which included a rematch against BYU.

With day one in the books, Fullerton looked to rebound from that late loss against San Diego to hopefully get another win over BYU. 

The game against BYU started with both teams scoring one run in the first inning. Fullerton went on to score another two runs in the bottom of the second inning, extending the score to 3-1.

Both teams went scoreless for the next two innings, but at the top of the fifth, BYU put up a pair of runs. They went on to dominate the game in the top of the sixth inning when they put up eight additional runs.

Fullerton scored in the first and second inning and went scoreless the rest of the game. The Titans tried to gain control of the game, but BYU pressed on the gas and never let up. The Titan’s offense and defense didn’t click in this game,  and Fullerton had to regroup before heading into their last game against Southern Utah.

At the start of the game against Southern Utah, the Titans put three runs on the board in the top of the first inning. While Southern Utah countered in the second inning with one run, Fullerton’s Irie Siofele propelled her first home run of the season right through the left of the bleachers, which gave the Titans a 3-1 lead heading into the third inning.

The Titans dominated the home plate in the third inning, putting up four runs. However, Southern Utah would not give up, adding one run in the top of the fourth inning. The defense for the Titans was outstanding, as they shut out the Thunderbirds for the rest of the game, earning a final score of 7-4.

Fullerton will have a week off before returning to the field, as their next game will be at the Mary Nutter Classic on Saturday Feb. 22.. They will have four games in two days, facing off against Utah, Notre Dame, Oregon State and Arizona State.