Jordan Mendoza Softball-2

(Jordan Mendoza / Daily Titan)

The CSUF softball team kicked off a slate of four home games with a double header on Thursday, Oct. 17, that started at 6 p.m. against Mt. San Antonio College and at 8 p.m. against California Baptist University.

Senior Sophie Frost started the first game of the doubleheader and continued to prove why she is the ace of the team.

Frost recorded six strikeouts in six innings allowing zero earned runs. The sole Mt. SAC run came during an error in the fourth inning, which was the only jam Frost found herself in. She stopped the damage and pitched a pop fly ball which was caught by left fielder Irie Siofele.

The Titans faced their own offensive struggles as they left seven runners on base. Kelsie Whitmore scored Fullerton’s’ first run with a home run in the bottom of the third inning.

Sophomore Alexa Neil helped produce a run in the sixth inning after a leadoff walk and stole second base, which led the way for Whitmore to record her second RBI of the game to give the Titans the lead.

Utility player Janelle Rodriguez came into relief in the top of the seventh inning. After a pop up to right field, Rodriguez plunked the next better on her last pitch. 

The home plate umpire then called the game off and Mt. SAC was deprived of a possible comeback. CSUF won, 2-1, without having to record the final two outs of the game. 

Right-hander Dani Martinez got the nod for the second game of the night.

The aggressive Cal Baptist offense came out swinging from the first at-bat of the game. They recorded 11 hits, highlighted by the top of the third inning where they scored six runs.

Despite giving up a home run and a grand slam, Martinez recorded five strikeouts in six innings of work.

The Titan offense, led again by Whitmore and her third-inning grand slam, responded to Cal Baptist’s rally and kept the Titans in the game.

With two hits in two at-bats against Cal Baptist, freshman Megan Delgadillo became the only Titan to record two hits in the game. She batted leadoff in both games.

Delgadillo is a part of a group of three new recruits for the 2019-2020 season. 

The game was stopped in the bottom of the fifth inning because of sprinklers that turned on, which prevented the Titans from mounting a rally or taking a lead and ended the game at 6-6.

The Titans continue to play scrappy softball and remain competitive despite starting games sluggishly. 

Cal State Fullerton will play next on Oct. 25 against Cal State San Bernardino. The game at Anderson Family Field is scheduled for 7 p.m.