Josh AH softball stock (2 of 2)

(Joshua Arief Halim / Daily Titan)

The CSUF softball team currently holds a 15-3 record in conference play and looks to clinch their fourth straight Big West championship in the final regular-season series this weekend against UC Riverside.    

The Titans have won all six regular-season series against conference opponents this season, with three of them in sweep fashion.

In CSUF’s most recent sweep against Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, the Mustangs were limited to three runs in three games while the Titans mustered 10 runs.

As the beneficiary of a four-game win streak, Fullerton is two games ahead of Hawaii and is one win away from clinching at least a share of the title, while two wins would give the Titans the championship.

The Titans’ offense is propelled by the bats of outfielders Ari Williams and Kelsie Whitmore, both of whom are ranked No. 1 and No. 2 in batting average in conference play.

Williams is fresh off of her Softball Field Player of the Week accolade as she attained a .700 batting average this past weekend’s series against Cal Poly.

The Moreno Valley native continues to tear the bases and she also leads the conference with nine stolen bases.

In the circle, CSUF pitcher Dani Martinez continues to dominate; she collected her fifth Big West Softball Freshman of the Week award this week.

Martinez currently has the second-best ERA (1.06) in the conference behind only UC Davis’ Brooke Yanez (0.94).

The Bellflower native also has the second-best strikeout per seven innings ratio with a 6.26 average.

Meanwhile, UC Riverside currently sits in sixth place in the Big West at 8-10.  The Highlanders are coming off a sweep of UC Santa Barbara over the weekend, outscoring the Gauchos 20-7 in the three-game series.

UCR is led offensively by juniors Danielle Ortega and Emma Ramelot.

Ortega has five RBIs and two stolen bases and a .324 batting average in conference play. Ramelot has been a catalyst with the bat for the Highlanders as she has 14 RBIs and two home runs, both of which are tied for the team lead.

In conference games, UCR’s pitching staff is ranked last in the Big West for home runs as they have allowed 18 home runs, meaning the Highlander pitchers will have their hands full as Fullerton has hit 15 home runs this season, which is second in the conference.

When these two teams met in 2018, the Titans won the series, winning two of the three games. UC Riverside won the first game, 4-2, before the Titans came back and won both games of the doubleheader to take the series.

First pitch for Friday’s game is scheduled for 3 p.m. at Amy S. Harrison Softball Field.