womens_tennis1

(Adam Maldonado / Daily Titan)

CSUF women’s tennis lost back-to-back matches this past weekend. On the road against San Diego State the Titans had their five-game winning streak snapped by a score of 4-0 on Saturday. At home on Sunday, CSUF lost to St. Mary’s by a score of 5-2.

The Titans have an overall record of 5-2, second-best in the Big West this year. CSUF trails Cal Poly San Luis Obipso with the best overall record in the conference at 6-1. 

Against the Aztecs, the Titans gave up two of three doubles matches and conceded the first point. YuSeung Suh and Camila Garcia lost the first match, 3-6, while Jadie Acidera and Taylor Valenzuela lost the second match, 0-6. As a result of losing the first two matches, Eira Tobrand and Petra Such did not have to finish the final doubles match.

In the singles matches, CSUF was unable to record a point, as they lost all their finished matches. Suh lost her singles match, 2-6 and 1-6, to Alicia Melosch while Such lost to Cecile Morin, 2-6 and 1-6. In the final singles match that allowed to conclude, Valenzuela lost to Abbie Mulbarger, 1-6 and 0-6.

The Titans then faced off against St. Mary’s on Sunday afternoon at the Titans Courts. CSUF lost in a match that was much closer than the score indicated. Acidera and Valenzuela faced off against 19th-ranked DI singles player in the nation, Mariia Kozreyva, in a doubles match and were defeated, 2-6.

Tobrand and Such battled Lene Mari Hovda and Liesl Pieters in a tightly contested match, but fell short in the final game, 5-7, that gave St. Mary’s the first points of the dual match. Acidera and Valenzuela lost to Kozreyva and Danielle McIntyre, 2-6, in the final doubles match.

In the singles matches, the Titans kept the matches close as Tobrand defeated Jordan Harris in a close match, 6-2 and 7-5. 

Acidera went back and forth with Hovda in a close match but fell short in a close contest, 4-6 and 3-6. Suh defeated  McIntyre, 7-5 and 6-1, and earned the Titans’ second point of the day.

Such played tough in her match against Aubane Ville as both sets went into extra games, but ultimately lost the match, 5-7 and 6-7. Garcia and Valenzuela were defeated in straight sets as well, as they conceded the final point for St. Mary’s to defeat CSUF, 5-2.

The Titans are returning to the Titan Courts on Feb. 21 at 1:30 p.m. against the University of New Mexico, and Feb. 22 against UC Riverside for a dual match at 11:00 a.m.

UC Riverside has an overall record of 3-3 and lost their first conference game against UC Davis. The Highlanders have a 33% winning percentage in singles and doubles, CSUF winning percentage in singles is 54% and in doubles, their record is 68%.