YuSeung Suh earned a 6-4, 6-3 win over Concordia’s Lisa Suzuki in a nail-biting match. She won all her matches in the Titan’s duals double-header on Friday. (Kason Clark / Daily Titan)

The Cal State Fullerton women’s tennis team capped off a long day of action on Friday with a 6-1 victory over Concordia University Irvine at home. The game followedwas played at home shortly after a 7-0 victory over Marymount California University earlier in the morning.

Before the second dual of the day, CSUF head coach Dianne Matias said she expected a stiff challenge from Concordia. 

“This is going to be a good challenge for us, I think we’re going to be tested. If we’re not ready, we’re going to have a tough day,” said Matias said.

In the end, the Titans proved they were more than up to handling the task in front of them and bested the Irvine Eagles in a near shut-out.

The lone singles loss of the day was a highly competitive match between Fullerton’s Genevieve Zeidan and Concordia’s Ghazi Paktbaten. Despite playing with a taped-up shoulder, Zeidan exhibited impressive control and composure to handle Paktbaten’s skillsetaggression and power throughout the three-match set. 

The first game started strong for the Fullerton junior, Zeidan, as she claimed the first set a 6-3 win over Paktbaten. HIn the end, however, Paktbaten’s skill powerful serve proved to be enough to claim the final two sets, 4-6 and 6-10.victory, taking a 4-6 win in a nail-biting second set and a 6-10 win in what was quite possibly the most exciting set of the day.

Speaking on that match after the game, Zeidan said she was optimistic that she can take many lessons away from the close loss. 

“I know what I have to work on in practices: more serves and be more patient,” said Zeidan said.

Matias said she was happy with Zeidan’s performance and recognized some of the distinctive attributes that make her an exceptional athlete. 

“Gen’s a unique player, that’s just how she is. She doesn’t show much emotion. She doesn’t get too excited or too upset.” Matias said. “That’s actually a weapon for her because you don’t really know what’s going on with her, she’s pretty steady throughout the whole match.”

All other singles matches ended in victory for the Titans within the first two sets. Eira Tobrand claimed a redemption victory over Concordia with a 6-3, 6-1 win against Rebekah Anderson, who had previously beaten Tobrand in their doubles match shortly before. 

Jadie Acidera beat Lou Perrot 6-0, 6-3 to clinch the Titans second victory over Concordia, while YuSeung Suh earned a 6-4, 6-3 win over Lisa Suzuki in a nail-biting match that came down to the wire. Camila Garcia scored a victory over Roula Elmalah in a near-shutout,: 6-0, and 6-2. Claiming the final victory for the Titan’s was Petra Such, who won 6-2, 6-3 over Kiersti Strandness.

The doubles matches were strongly contested, with CSUF taking the advantage 2-1 for the 1-0 lead going into the singles matches. Although Zeidan and Tobrand lost the first double, 2-6, the Titans were still able to claim victory based on wins from Suh and Garcia as well as, and Acidera and Taylor Valenzuela, who both won their doubles matches, 6-1.

Although the win was a good indication of things to come, Matias felt the biggest positive from the day was the experience gained. 

“We had a good day. Biggest thing today was to keep getting matches under our belt and keep putting ourselves in situations where we’re uncomfortable. This was the first time we had a double header, but I didn’t think that was too big of a deal to the team,” Matias said.”

Matias said she feels that they day was won because of the challenges presented by opposing players, combined with the rigors of competing in two duals back-to-back in one day. 

“It was more about let’s see if we can improve from the morning and get better in the afternoon. It was a good match,” said Matias said.

The Titans return to action on Wednesday,. Feb.ruary 5th  against Azusa Pacific University at 1:30 p.m.