Women's basketball photo (vs. GCU)

Coach Harada gathers team for a huddle on Dec. 4, 2021 against Grand Canyon University. (Devyn Billingsley / Titan Athletics)

These are the latest 2022-2023 incoming Titan athletes from the transfer portal.

Softball

Right-handed pitcher Haley Rainey will transfer to Fullerton after playing a season with Idaho State University.

In her only season at Idaho State, Rainey pitched an Earned Run Average of 3.46 which included 163 strikeouts in 157.2 innings.

She was named the Big Sky Conference’s Freshman Player of the Year and made the conference’s All-Second Team.

In two meetings against the Titans last season, Rainey had 12 strikeouts in 11.1 innings. Her performance caught the attention of CSUF Head Coach Kelly Ford.

“Haley stood out to us when we faced Idaho State this spring.” Ford said in a press release, “We love her competitive fire and the Titans got better with her commitment”.

Men’s basketball

Guard Max Jones will be transferring to Fullerton for the 2022-2023 season after spending two years playing for the University of Tampa Spartans. Jones averaged 22.1 points per game while shooting 44% overall and 33% from distance in two seasons for the Spartans.

Jones earned honors in his first year including All-Sunshine State Conference first team and freshman player of the year.

In his final game with the Spartans, he scored a season-high 39 points in a 90-84 loss against Florida Tech on March 16.

With Jones averaging a 1.2 assist to turnover ratio, the Titans will look to improve in the area of the ball after they finished near the bottom of the Big West last season with a .93 assist to turnover ratio.

Forward Lathianel Bastian signed a National Letter of Intent to join the Titans after averaging 11.4 points, 8.2 rebounds, and 1.4 blocks last season at Angelo State.

John Mikey Square committed to CSUF after spending two seasons at Fairleigh Dickinson University. He averaged 7.4 points and 4.5 rebounds per game.

Last season as a starter, Square Jr averaged 8.5 points and five rebounds in 25 games for Fairleigh Dickinson.  

Both forwards will look to help the Titans’ rebounding as the team was near the bottom of the conference in rebounds per game last season.

Women’s basketball

Shyla Latone will transfer to CSUF after spending two seasons with Utah State. She blossomed in her final season with the team where she averaged nearly 11 points, two assists, and three rebounds per game.

With last season’s leading scorer Lily Wahinekapu transferring to University of Hawai’i, the Titans could lean on Latone to help make up for the volume of scoring the former Gatorade Player of the Year is taking with her to Hawai’i.

Latone holds numerous records for Utah’s program including placing tenth in all-time 3-pointers made with 88 and tied a single-game record for 3-pointers with nine against the University of New Mexico in March 2021.

Shooting 31% from 3, Latone could help Fullerton’s shooting woes after the team ended last season near the bottom of the conference in 3-point shooting at 27%.