baseball 4/10

Deylan Pigford swung and missed at Goodwin Field while facing Pepperdine on March 6. (Marisa Palmerin-Flores / Daily Titan)

Cal State Fullerton’s baseball lost all three games in a road series against the University of Michigan Wolverines on April 8-10 at Ray Fisher Stadium.

The April 10 matchup served as a bitter finish for the Titans that ended in a 11-10 Michigan victory and series sweep.

Brandow got the Titans on the board first with a solo home run in the second inning. With the score tied at one in the fourth inning, Fullerton seemingly blew the game open with an RBI double from right fielder Jackson Lyon, an RBI sacrifice fly from JJ Cruz and a two-run home run from designated hitter Austin Schell for a 5-1 lead.

The Titans countered a pair of Michigan runs with Caden Connor’s RBI double in the fifth inning and Cole Urman’s sacrifice fly in the sixth for the 7-3 lead. However, that four-run lead was wiped away in the bottom of the sixth with a six-run inning by the Wolverines.

The Titans fought back to take the lead in the top of the eighth inning with shortstop Jack Haley’s two-RBI double and Carter White’s RBI single to left.

Leading 10-9 in the bottom of the eighth inning, pitcher Michael Weisberg struggled to pitch with the lead. In his second inning of relief, he hit a batter and threw three wild pitches, allowing Michigan to tie the game in the eighth.

After a scoreless inning for the Titans, a pair of Wolverines reached base via singles. With runners on second and third and only one out, Weisberg threw his fourth wild pitch of the game, handing the walk-off win to Michigan.

The Titans dropped game one, 2-1, of their three game series against Michigan on April 8.

Both teams were scoreless until the bottom of the sixth when Michigan hit their first run. Ted Burton singled to shortstop which allowed Joe Stewart to score and put the Wolverines on the scoreboard.

The Titans tied the game, 1-1, late in the eighth inning. Connor scored on Zach Lew’s single RBI.

Bases quickly loaded after another single by Titan Jason Brandow and a hit by pitch by Cruz. With bases loaded and one out, the Titans were unable to score another run and take the lead, closing out the frame with a pair of pop ups from Urman and Nate Nankil.

Michigan responded to Fullerton’s solo run and scored one of their own to take the lead during the bottom of the eighth inning. A home run by Matt Frey was the winning run and closed out the game.

After dropping game one in a close game against the University of Michigan Wolverines, the Titans looked to bounce back during the second game of the series on Saturday. However, Fullerton fell short, 8-2.

During the first four innings, the Wolverines managed to score six runs.

In the bottom of the first inning, Stewart reached on a fielder’s choice and advanced to second base on a balk and reached third base on a wild pitch. Burton hit a sacrifice fly to bring in Stewart.

Michigan was not able to score again until the third inning, where they scored three runs. Clark Elliott reached first base on a walk and advanced to second after Stewart reached on a fielder’s choice. Frey walked and loaded the bases. Tito Flores was hit by a pitch which allowed Elliott to score the first of three runs during this inning. Stewart scored the next run on Riley Bertram’s single RBI. Jimmy Obertop hit a pop up ball and Frey returned to home base to give the Wolverines a 4-0 lead.

Fullerton was unable to score and trailed 4-0 until the top of the fourth where they scored two runs. Urman hit a home run and also scored Brenden Bobo who was on second base. This was Urman’s first home run of the season.

Michigan scored two of their own runs during the bottom of the fourth inning. Jordon Rogers scored an unearned run and Elliott scored a run after Burton doubled through the right field, extending the Wolverine’s lead, 6-2.

During the top of the sixth inning, the Titans’ offense was strong as they loaded the bases on three singles. However, they missed their opportunity to plate another run as they had the bases loaded with only one out.

The Wolverines scored two more runs during the bottom of the sixth inning and locked in their win.

Pitcher Cameron Weston earned the win for Michigan as he pitched for six innings and allowed nine hits and only two runs while striking out six.

The Titans are now on a four-game losing streak and 10-20 overall. CSUF will return to conference play this week. Fullerton will host UC Davis for three games with the series slated to begin April 14. The first pitch is scheduled for 7 p.m.