nimmo womens basketball

Junior guard Fujika Nimmo patiently waits to inbound the ball against University of Virginia on Nov. 23 inside Titan Gym. (CSUF Athletics)

Cal State Fullerton women’s basketball suffered a 55 point loss to the University of Utah Utes, losing 45-100 at Jon M. Huntsman Center in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Sophomore guard Gabi Vidmar led the team in scoring with 10 points and had two rebounds and assists. Sophomore center Ashlee Lewis led the team in rebounds with seven and also scored seven points.

This game was a struggle for freshmen guard Lily Wahinekapu, who has led the team in scoring this season. While she was tied with Vidmar and junior guard Fujika Nimmo for most assists on the team with two, Wahinekapu only scored six points compared to her 13.6 points-per-game average this season. In six field goal attempts, Wahinekapu made two, with one being a 3-pointer.

The game was a defensive struggle for the Titans from the start and scoring was an unsolvable problem. The Titans struggled with their shooting the entire game, only making close to 28% of their shots taken inside the arc and 20% from the arc. The defense did what it could, but it proved too difficult a task for the Titans to stop a surging Utes offense.

The Titans were unable to tame a strong Utes team, falling into a 15 point deficit in the first quarter that continued to grow throughout the game. The Utes won the tip-off and scored a 3-pointer for the first points of the match. The Titans’ defense was holding strong halfway through the first quarter, holding the Utes to 10 points while the offense came up flat with only a 3-pointer by Wahinekapu.

The Titans’ defense could not hold up to the Utes offense who scored 28 points and made four 3-pointers. The Titans scored 13 points and knocked down all three attempts from the arc.

The Utes started the second quarter off strong as well with forward Peyton McFarland charging to the basket to score a layup for two points. Titans’ Wahinekapu immediately followed suit and put two on the board with a quick drive to the basket.

The Utes led the Titans 55-19 at half, holding the Titans’ offense to only six points in the second quarter. The Titans attempted 31 shots from inside the arc in the first half and only made eight of them. The Utes also attempted 31 shots, but made only 20.

The second half seemed to pick up where the first left off with the Titans once again struggling against the Utes. The Titans ended up scoring 26 points in the second half, but the Utes led the Titans 29-16 in the third and 16-10 in the fourth quarter.

Besides scoring, the Titans were outplayed by the Utes in almost every category. The Utes managed to score 20 points off of Titan turnovers alone. The Utes also had 40 points in the paint, 25 assists, and 15 fast-break points.

With this loss, the Titans points per game average has now dropped almost two points. Titans stand at a 5-4 overall record with a 1-3 record on the road. They remain second in the Big West Conference behind Long Beach State.

The Titans will head back home for their next game as they take on Loyola Marymount University on Dec. 21 at Titan Gym. Tipoff begins at 7 p.m.