Eira Tobrand women's tennis

Eira Tobrand returns a rally against Azusa Pacific on March 25. (Devyn Billingsley)

Cal State Fullerton’s women’s tennis team will participate in the five-day ITA Division I Women’s Southwest Regional Championship at the University of San Diego beginning Thursday, Oct. 21.

Competing against Fullerton will be a massive collection of players from the Big West Conference and other conferences on the West Coast.

In addition to CSUF, the competition will include UC San Diego, Grand Canyon University, Long Beach State, Arizona State, the University of Arizona, San Diego State, Pepperdine, UC Santa Barbara, UC Irvine, UCLA, USC, Cal State Northridge and the University of San Diego.

The tournament is the second of the 2021-22 season for the Titans after coming off an eventful intercollegiate tournament in Long Beach on Oct. 8-10. Fullerton posted a few strong finishes in Long Beach State’s Fall Tournament, including a doubles first-place finish.

Sophomore Juliette Daries, from France, and freshman Kaytlin Taylor, from Huntington Beach, won their doubles flight C bracket draw on the second day of the three-day tournament. In the final match, the Fullerton duo beat Colorado State’s pairing of Sarka Richterova and Anastasiia Kotsyuba, 6-4.

Taylor also reached the final match in singles flight B, but fell in three sets.

Doubles pair sophomore Natalie Duffy and graduate student Eira Tobrand won the doubles flight A consolation match.The pairing of senior YuSeung Suh and freshman Indya Nespor won the consolation draw-side of the doubles flight B bracket.

Freshman Mariia Nikitash and junior Camila Garcia lost the consolation match of that bracket.

The five-day tournament in San Diego will provide the Titans with an opportunity to face stiff competition that has national championship aspirations. USC, Pepperdine, UCSB, the University of San Diego, Grand Canyon, UCLA and ASU each competed earlier this year in the 2021 Division 1 Women’s Tennis Championship. Pepperdine lost against Texas in the championship match.

Still fresh into the new season, the Titans can use this tournament as a barometer to measure strengths and weaknesses before conference play begins in February.

The upcoming tournament is the second of three fall tournaments. In addition to those tournaments, Fullerton will participate in nine conference matches before the Big West Championships in late April.

The first conference match of the season will be in February at UC Riverside. CSUF will not play a conference match at home until they face CSUN on March 18.

The only time the women’s tennis team will be in front of fans in Fullerton before the New Year is the Tennis with the Titans Fundraiser on Oct. 30.

Per Titans Athletics, “Guests will enjoy a special outing with the 2021-22 student-athletes and coaching staff, delicious food and beverages, and a silent auction.”

Proceeds of the event will go toward the women’s tennis program.

The ITA Regionals in San Diego will begin on Thursday, Oct. 21 and conclude on Monday, Oct. 25.