Jovanovic vs CSUN

CSUF’s Una Jovanovic, pictured above against CSU Northridge, was named Big West Player of the Week last Monday.

Following a tough win over Cal State Northridge, Cal State Fullerton women’s basketball will head south to meet their Orange County counterpart, UC Irvine, looking to put an end to the Anteaters nine-game winning streak.

The Anteaters currently sit atop the Big West standings and are currently 7-0 in conference play. The last time these two teams met, UC Irvine earned a dominant 18-point victory over CSUF in Titan Gym on Jan. 11.

CSUF’s defensive efforts will be key against UC Irvine as the Titans are currently presenting an average of 63.4 points per game while the Anteaters average 64.6 points per game and are currently 10-0 in games where they score over 63 points. 

The Titans will also need to minimize fouls to keep the Anteaters’ offense at bay, as UC Irvine has proved to be efficient from the line, shooting 92% from the charity stripe.

CSUF will be led by point guard Una Jovanovic who was awarded the Big West Player of the Week last Monday, following a dominant performance in the Titans’ 67-51 win against UC Davis on Jan. 14.

This performance against UC Davis saw Jovanovic achieve a new career high scoring 26 points on 9-of-14 shooting from the field and a perfect 8-for-8 from the free throw line.

Jovanovic ranks third in the Big West Conference for scoring with an average of 14.5 points per game and is very efficient when shooting from the charity stripe, ranging second in the conference for free throw percentage with an impressive 89.5% clip.

CSUF will need a similar scoring output from Jovanovic as the Titans hold a record of 7-6 in games where they score a minimum of 53 points.

Hitting that mark will be a tall task for CSUF as UC Irvine's defense is averaging 52.6 points per game which is significantly less than the Titans’ scoring average of 59.5 points per game.

Tip-off is set for 7:00 p.m. on Thursday at the Bren Events Center in Irvine