Tammy Vien

Tammy Vien, seen here on March 13, ran the 110m hurdles in 14.59 seconds at the Big West Heptathlon championships. (Adam Maldonado / Daily Titan)

Cal State Fullerton looks to continue their run on their quest to win at the Big West championships, which are set to start Friday in Irvine, California.

The Titans are fresh off victories in their last meet at the Long Beach State Invite in Long Beach, California where 13 men and 12 women placed in the top 10 of their events heading into the championships.

Iesha Hamm continues to leave her opponents in the dust as she maintains her undefeated season in the women’s high jump clearing 5 feet and 10 inches and currently leads the Big West conference as she heads into the championships this week.

Ty Wallace placed third in the Long Beach State Invite with a jump of 39 feet and 10 1/2 inches, just two inches short of second place, but she is still tied for third-best triple jump in the conference.

Women’s discus throw proved to be a tough battle as three Titans, Bertha Sola, who finished in fifth place, Sinai Fatafehi in sixth place and Kyliegh Wilkerson in seventh place were just inches apart from each other as they rounded out the top on the leaderboard.

In the women’s hammer throw Fatafehi ended in third place with 174 feet and 2 inches, just 2 feet 2 inches short of second place. Andrea Woods had the longest distance in the javelin throw to secure first place at 119 feet and 11 inches.

Freshman Sean Ayale finished in third place with a jump of 23 feet and 4 inches in the men’s long jump, moving himself up the leaderboard to the seventh position in the Big West conference.

Fellow teammate Juan Seales was right behind him as he jumped 6.85m (22’5’) landing him in fourth place. In the triple jump Seales took first when he landed a 15.10m (49 feet and -6 inches’) putting him in third place on the Big West leaderboard.

Sophomore Ernesto Collazo beat out his opponents on his last attempt as he placed first in the men’s pole vault with a 4.81m

Fullerton continued to push their opponents to the test in their events as Connor Anderson placed second in the hammer throw with  just under two feet away from catching Alec Jones from Long Beach State for first place at 61.33m

Fullerton has shown promise and determination heading into competition as Charles Kelly has received Big West Honors for men’s track athlete of the week for the second time this season. 

Kelly broke the school's records in the men’s 110h with a time of 14.15 and in the 400h with a time of 51.59 seconds. Both scores are the top for the Big West and second best time in the hurdles.

Fellow Titans Iesha Hamm was also nominated for the Big West women’s field athlete of the week and Marcel Sylvester was nominated for men’s field athlete of the week.

With the field set and victory in their eyes, the Titans hope they can keep up their momentum and bring the trophy back to Fullerton. The last time both teams had the hardware was back in 2019 for the women's team who are looking to repeat and in 2018 for the men's team who hope to seal the trophy away from Long Beach State who holds the title for last season.

The Big West championships round one day one is set to start all day this Friday in Irvine, California.

Sports Editor F20; Asst. Sports Editor S21