Volleyball vs CSUB photo

Neena Dimas sets up a serve against CSUB on Sept. 24 inside Titan Gym. (CSUF Athletics)

Cal State Fullerton women’s volleyball broke even over the weekend in their two matches against Cal Poly San Luis Obispo and Cal State Bakersfield .

The Titans were successful in advancing their winning streak to three matches against the Cal Poly Mustangs on Friday, but could not claim a victory over the Bakersfield Roadrunners on Saturday.

Fullerton dominated the fourth set of the match against Cal Poly after falling behind 1-2 sets, managing to pull ahead in a 3-2 win Friday night at the Mott Athletics Center in San Luis Obispo.

The Titans’ dominant performance was led by their defense and a strong outing from Julia Crawford, who had a career night with five serving aces in a single match. Her five serving aces topped her previous career-high of three from earlier this season, and were more than double Cal Poly’s combined serving aces. Crawford also had a team-high of 17 kills and 59 attacks.

The Titans fought back and began to make a major comeback in the fourth set after falling behind early on.

After losing a tightly contested third set, the Titans began the fourth down 6-9; however, the team made a turnaround, going on a scoring run with Crawford serving — which propelled them to even the match at two sets a piece. Fullerton also benefited from a multitude of errors by Cal Poly in the fourth.

The Titans opened the fifth set with another scoring run of six points, placing pressure on the Mustangs. Two consecutive kills by Crawford in the middle of the set forced the home team into a timeout in a final unsuccessful attempt at stopping Cal Poly’s loss.

By that point, it was too late for the Mustangs.

After winning the first set 26-24, the Titans dropped the next two, 22-25 and 23-25, before bouncing back and putting on a dominant performance that led them to a 25-20 in the fourth.

The final score was the opposite of the last time these teams met at the end of September, where the Titans fell in a 3-2 loss at home.

The win over Cal Poly brought Fullerton’s season record to 9-9, recording their sixth win in the Big West conference.

In their following match on Saturday, CSUF was swept 3-0 by Bakersfield at the Icardo Center.

The Titans opened conference play with a 3-1 victory against the Roadrunners on Sept. 24, and were confident after building up a three-game winning streak going into the second meeting.

However, the Roadrunners were able to return the favor this time around with their consistent blocking, strong serves and consistent pressure as they handed the Titans their sixth loss in conference play.

In the opening set, the Titans made many simple mistakes, as well as bad rotations defensively, that led to the Roadrunners coasting to a 25-10 victory. Fullerton got one lead change in their favor in the opening minutes when they were up 2-1.

The momentum was on Bakersfield’s side into the second set, but the Titans were able to weather the storm early as they opened the set with a lot of energy on the defensive end.

The second set ended very close, but Bakersfield claimed the set 25-21, putting them up 2-0 as the final set approached.

The third set was the most exciting of the match, as both teams displayed great heart and refused to give their opponents an inch, leading to a nail-biting final set for the 298 attendees at the Icardo Center.

Bakersfield won by a razor-thin margin, 27-25, after their middle blocker Brooke Boiseau got a kill, resulting in their sweep of Fullerton.

The Titans ended the match with 26 kills, 26 assists, 37 digs and 101 total attempts. The Roadrunners totaled 50 kills, 45 assists, 48 digs and 115 total attempts.

Fullerton now sits in fourth place in the Big West Conference rankings and will have a chance to redeem themselves against Long Beach State on Nov. 4 at 7 p.m. at Titan Gym.