volleyball 09/25/2022 image

Outside hitter Lyla Traylor pictured against Weber State on Sept.10, served a combined 16 kills over the weekend. (Navtej Hundal / Daily Titan)

In their first pair of conference games this season, Cal State Fullerton women’s volleyball started with a win against the Cal State Bakersfield Roadrunners on Friday and a loss against the Cal Poly San Luis Obispo Mustangs on Saturday, ending the Titans’ six-game winning streak. 

The Titans are now 7-3 overall and stand in fourth place in the Big West behind UC Santa Barbara, Cal Poly SLO and the University of Hawai’i. All their losses of the season came from away games, as they still remain undefeated at home and neutral arena matches.

CSUF swept the Roadrunners in dominant fashion, 3-0, before the Mustang’s swept them, 3-0. 

The defeat for the Titans came from the hands of Mustangs senior opposite hitter Maia Dvoracek, who led the game with 15 kills, followed by redshirt sophomore outside hitter Tommi Stockham with 13.

Freshman middle blocker Bianca Martinez, senior outside hitter Danielle Jefferies and sophomore outside hitter Lyla Traylor posted six kills each, but it was not enough to stop the Mustangs. 

Senior setter Elizabeth Schuster led the Titans with 24 assists, while Mustangs’ redshirt freshman setter Emme Bullis held a game high 36 assists. 

The Mustangs showcased a strong defense in the first set, dictating a loss for the Titans. The Mustangs went on a 9-0 scoring run to take an early 16-8 lead before Traylor dumped the ball to temporarily stop the run.

Stockham’s eight first set kills along with the Mustangs .438 hitting percentage were instrumental in the first set victory 25-14.

The Titans battled in the second set after struggling in the first set, but errors proved to be fatal  in their 25-19 second set loss as the Titans recorded eight errors. 

After being down 2-0, the Titans had a steep mountain to climb but the Mustangs’ momentum from the first two set victories carried on into the third set, where they took a 12-2 lead after a 10-0 scoring run. 

The Titans bounced back with a 7-0 scoring run of their own, bringing the score to 12-9, before the Mustangs ran off with the lead and finished the game with an exclamation match-point kill by Stockham.

CSUF was led by Traylor with 10 kills on 18 attacks, followed by senior outside hitter Julia Crawford with nine kills on 21 attacks. Schuster led the game in assists with 31 in the loss. 

The game on Friday continued the Titans hot start to the season beginning conference play.

The first set was the most competitive out of the three played, but kills by Martinez and Traylor put an end to the first set 25-17.

The Roadrunners recorded 14 errors in the second set compared to the Titans two, which played a crucial role in the set going the way of the Titans. Fullerton won, 25-10, and was closed with a kill by Jefferies.

The Titans and Roadrunners traded points throughout the third set until Traylor’s kill sparked a 9-1 scoring run that ended the set at 25-15 and capped off the victory for CSUF. The Titans truly outclassed the Roadrunners in striking, posting a .421 hitting percentage to the Roadrunners .049 percentage. 

The Titans' next game will be the conference home opener on Tuesday at 7 p.m. against Long Beach State in the Titan Gym.