volleyball preview photo

Women's volleyball celebrates a set victory against Cal State Northridge on Oct. 8. (Marisa Palmerin-Flores / Daily Titan)

After coming off a 3-1 loss to the UC San Diego Tritons on Saturday, Cal State Fullerton women’s volleyball team will take on the UC Davis Aggies and the UC Riverside Highlanders this weekend.

With two games lined up, this weekend provides the Titans with a chance to position themselves in .500 territory in the conference standings while against two lower ranked opponents.

The Titans will first face UC Davis on Oct. 22 at 7 p.m. in the Titan Gym. The Aggies have had a tough time in conference play as they currently stand at 2-6 with an 6-13 overall record for the season, but they are coming off of an impressive 3-1 win against UC Santa Barbara which is 8-1 in conference play this season.

However, the Aggies also hold an away record of 1-5 so far this season, while the Titans are 4-2 at home.

The stakes are high with regards to the Big West standings as Davis and Fullerton are separated by just one win.

The Titans will also face UCR on Oct. 23 at 5 p.m. The Highlanders are winless in conference play at 0-8 and 4-14 overall for the season. They were swept in each of their last two games and are currently on a nine-game losing streak that goes back to September.

Going into their next two games, the Titans stand at 3-5 in the Big West conference with an overall record of 6-9. The Titans have been unable to put together consecutive victories in conference play, making these next few games crucial.

Some notable players going into the weekend for Fullerton include sophomore outside hitter Julia Crawford, junior right side hitter Gabrielle Barcelos and junior middle blocker Nicole Schuhandler.

In 15 matches, Crawford averages a team-high in multiple categories including points per set at 3.7, digs per set at 4.32 and kills per set with 3.45.

Barcelos has averaged 2.14 kills per set to go along with 2.5 points per set while Schuhandler has averaged 1.82 kills per set plus a solid 2.2 points per set.

Some Aggies to watch out for on Friday include freshman outside hitter Amara Aimufua who averages a team-high 2.9 kills per set along with 3.16 points per set. Junior middle blocker Josephine Ough is also putting up 3.2 points per set plus a team-high hitting percentage of .419. Freshman outside hitter Olivia Utterback averages 2.4 kills per set along with 1.7 digs per set.

For the season, the Highlanders are tallying 10.8 kills per set, 10 assists per set and 14.5 digs per set.

Key players to mention heading into Saturday’s game include sophomore outside hitter Amarachi Osuji, sophomore opposite hitter Ayanna Kimbrough and freshman setter Zoey Seput.

Osuji is averaging 3.26 points per set plus 2.7 kills per set. Kimbrough has put up a consistent 2.4 points per set along with 2.3 kills per set, and Seput averages 7 assists per game with 2.3 digs per set

The games will start at 7 p.m. in Titan Gym on Friday and 5:00 p.m Saturday. The matches will also be streamed on ESPN+.