volleyball v. long beach 11/8

Women's volleyball interim head coach Nicole Polster (middle) gathered the team for a brief timeout against Long Beach State before falling 3-0 Nov. 4 at Titan Gym. (Daniela Navarro / Daily Titan)

Cal State Fullerton women's volleyball continued to struggle in the Big West Conference as they lost their third game in a row to the University of Hawaii Rainbow Wahine Friday night at Titan gym. 

Hawaii showed their dominance during all three sets as they swept Fullerton 3-0. They led with 48 kills and 71 digs over Fullerton’s 31 kills and 61 digs.

When Fullerton last faced Hawaii on Oct. 3, they lost 3-2. Since 1982, Fullerton has lost every game against Hawaii making Fullerton's overall record 0-41 against Hawaii. 

This loss puts the Titans at 6-8 in the Big West and 9-12 overall. 

The victory against the Titans and Long Beach the day after, puts Hawaii in first place in the Big West Conference with a 13-1 record in the conference and 16-6 overall. 

The Titans started off the first set with a strong block from junior middle blocker Nicole Shuhandler and outside hitter Makena Ala’ilima-Daley which gave them a 15-10 lead against Hawaii. Hawaii quickly cut Fullerton's lead to 18-16, causing Fullerton to call a timeout. 

A kill by junior right side hitter Gabrielle Barcelos then gave the Titans a 21-16 lead before Hawaii put up four straight points to again cut Fullerton's lead to 21-20. 

In the last few minutes of the first set, Hawaii put three straight points and took back the lead to win the first set 25-23. 

Fullerton's momentum did not carry over to the second set as the Titans only managed one lead with a score of 12-13 until Hawaii scored five-straight points.

The Titans were not able to bounce back and Hawaii took the second set 25-19 and led 2-0. 

After the second set, Nicole Shuhandler led the Titans with five kills, Elizabeth Schuster led with 20 assists and Julia Crawford led with 13 digs. 

Hawaii started off the third set strong as they charged through the Titans with an early 6-1 lead. 

After several runs from Hawaii, the Titans fell behind as Hawaii led 16-6. Hawaii's 10 point lead over Fullerton caused them to call their second timeout of the set. 

A kill by Crawford and an attack error by Maya Riddlesprigger gave the Titans two points late in the third,but the team still needed 10 more points to take the lead to 23-24.

An attack error by Lyla Traylor and a kill from Tiffany Westerberg gave Hawaii the final two points as they took the third set 25-14. 

Outside hitter Brooke Van Sickle had an outstanding game as she led Hawaii with 16 kills. This season Van Sickle has 295 kills, 249 digs and 18 assists. 

Junior middle blocker Haley Carmo led the Titans with six kills and three digs and Schuster ended the game with 27 assists and 16 digs. 

The Titans will continue their home game series on Friday as they face UC Santa Barbara at 7 p.m. The Titans will take on Cal-State Northridge on Saturday at 5 p.m.