Olympic pool photo

People attending the opening of new Olympic-sized swimming pool on Feb. 27 that will host men's and women's water polo (Genesis Pavia / Daily Titan)

Titan athletics announced the return of men's and women's water polo, which has not been part of its program since 1985. According to the announcement made on May 20, the women’s team will begin playing in the spring of 2023 and the men’s in the fall. 

The university plans to offer eight scholarships for women and 4.5 for the men’s teams, the amount that teams are allowed to give per NCAA rules. 

According to Cal State Fullerton Director of Athletics Jim Donovan, the head coaching position is available on the CSUF’s HRDI job web page, as the head coach will oversee men’s and women's water polo.

The addition of Division I women’s water polo to CSUF athletics is a first for the program. The team will be added to the Big West, being the eight team in the conference.

Men’s water polo will also return as a DI sport, despite being Division II when dropped. 

Current Big West schools with a men’s water polo team compete in the Golden Coast Conference or Western Water Polo Association. Adding CSUF would give the Big West six teams, enough for an automatic NCAA postseason qualification. 

However, the conference will have to wait two years before making the conference official, with current teams only eligible for at-large bids to participate in postseason play.  

Donovan briefly mentioned the announcement of water sports coming back during the university’s unveiling of the $8.1 million 53-meter pool on February 27. 

However, Donovan said CSUF athletics does not have plans to add more water sports beyond water polo due to the lack of a diving platform.

CSUF President Fram Virjee believes bringing back water polo will benefit the university in years to come.

“It is about expanding opportunity for Titan athletes and providing the chance for them to shine at a national level”, Virjee said in a university press release.