ITA regionals photo

Eira Tobrand returns a rally at the Titan Tennis Court. (CSUF Athletics)

Cal State Fullerton’s women’s tennis team returned home this week after an eventful ITA regional tournament hosted by the University of San Diego over the weekend.

The Titans competed in both doubles and singles matches at the ITA Division I Women's Southwest Regional Championship in San Diego, which was held from Oct. 21-25.

The tournament featured several Big West Conference members and a wide range of competitors from other conferences such as the Pac-12 Conference, Mountain West Conference, West Coast Conference, and the Western Athletic Conference.

Fullerton anticipated participating in all five days of the tournament but it ended up playing out differently.

Despite multiple advancements in singles matches, the tournament was ultimately cut short for a few Fullerton tennis players due to inclement weather. Due to espite the weather occurring early in the tournament, no makeup matches were played and the draws ended as-is.

The first day of competition was a rough one for Titans in the main draw. All eight Fullerton players lost their opening Thursday singles matches and there weren’t any advancements in this draw.

The eight players each got a shot at singles redemption on day two of the tournament in the extra matches draw.

Sophomore Juliette Daries defeated Cal State Northridge’s Jolene Coetzee (1-6, 6-4, [13-11]), sophomore Natalie Duffy defeated UC Santa Barbara’s Marta Gonzalez-Ballbe (6-3, 6-4), graduate student Eira Tobrand defeated UC Irvine’s Jessica Tsukiji (3-6, 6-3, [12-10]), senior YuSeung Suh defeated Grand Canyon’s Santa Strombach (7-5, 6-3), and freshman Indya Nespor defeated UCI’s Dasee Carter (6-1,6-4).

Junior Camila Garcia fell in three sets to UCI’s Ysabel Gonzalez-Rico (4-6, 6-3, [10-7]) and freshman Kaytlin Taylor was defeated by Long Beach State’s Arina Babkova (6-4, 6-3).

Freshman Mariia Nikitash’s Friday match against Hawaii’s Alexis Merrill was canceled.

All Titans that advanced to the round of 64 on Friday in the extra matches draw had their next matches cancelled.

On Saturday, each Fullerton player except for Nikitash participated in the written singles draw. Suh beat UC San Diego’s Anukrita Bhadada 6-3, 6-2 while Tobrand dominated UCSD’s Anjni Agrawal 6-0, 6-1. Daries, Taylor, Garcia, Nespor and Duffy each lost their Saturday matches in the draw, respectively.

In the main doubles draw on Thursday, each Fullerton pair fell. Garcia/Nikitash lost to CSUN’s Jenna Dorian/Yuliia Zhytelna 7-6(6), Suh/Taylor lost to the University of San Diego’s Claudia

De Las Heras/Victoria Kalaitzis 6-3, and Duffy/Tobrand lost to USC’s Salma Ewing/Snow Han 7-5.

In the doubles extra matches day 1 doubles draw, Fullerton swept the draw. Duffy/Tobrand defeated LBSU’s Babkova/Zuzanna Szczepanska 6-4, Garcia/Suh defeated CSUN’s Magdalena Hedrzak/Ekatarina Repina 6-4, and Daries/Taylor defeated UCSD’s Katelyn Vu/Sophie Pearson, also 6-4.

Daries/Taylor was the only Fullerton duo to win a match in the extra matches day 2 doubles draw. They defeated San Diego State’s Alexandria Von Tersch Pohrer/Cécile Morin 6-2.

The ITA Regionals were the second tournament of the season for Cal State Fullerton. Their next tournament will take place from Nov. 12-14 at the CSUN Matador Invitational in Northridge.

Prior to the CSUN invitational, the Titans will make an appearance at the Tennis with the Titans fundraiser on Saturday, Oct. 30.

The fundraiser features tournament play, a brunch, a silent auction and spectator food and beverage services. The tournament will be conducted in a round-robin doubles format and participants will be paired with current or former members of the tennis program.

More information about the event and player registration can be found on the Fullerton women’s tennis website.

Player check-in for Tennis with the Titans begins at 8:30 a.m. on Saturday at the Titans Tennis Courts.